Road movement command

I'd really like to be able to move a column of vehicles down a twisty road without having to plot paths for every single one. THis came up in CMBO and I am kind of surprised there is no way to do this in CMBB.

Two possiblities. Make a new "follow" command for vehicles on Roads or have a special "road move" command, so I can click anywhere on a road and the vehicle will only move on the road to get to that point.

Warren

Originally posted by Warren Peace:

I'd really like to be able to move a column of vehicles down a twisty road without having to plot paths for every single one. THis came up in CMBO and I am kind of surprised there is no way to do this in CMBB.

Two possiblities. Make a new "follow" command for vehicles on Roads or have a special "road move" command, so I can click anywhere on a road and the vehicle will only move on the road to get to that point.

Warren

Yes!

A convoy command, follow friendly vehicle command, "STAY on the DAMN Road!" command, ANY of those would do.

This has been a much asked for feature I think.

I suspect it is unlikely in the patch. :confused:

-tom w

[ October 21, 2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• 1 month later...

Bumping this again.

Just played "ASL Hube's Pocket" with a live opponent, playing as the Germans.

SPOILER

As some may remember from this ASL scenario, you have a convoy of trucks to exit off the mapedge. My hastily deployed defenses were soon shredded and the Russian armor began to breakthrough to where my convoys were traveling down a road.

Plotting each vehicle point by point down the road was a pain in the a$$, but I understand the limitations of the game. Still, it would be nice to be able to group select them all and then give them a "follow the road" type of command. Yes, I understand it probably aint' gonna happen in this game engine.

My real complaint though was this: my convoys are set to to "fast move" down the road. There's an a trek of the road that is not covered by woods. For that small stretch, my convoy was in target range of several T-34's. Now, instead of the convoy continuing as fast as possible another 200 meters where the road picks up behind the woods again, they take turns sitting in the open moving forward and reverse 10 meters at a time until they are destroyed. Just rocking back and forth getting picked off one by one.

Yes, you all will post "well, would you continue driving on the road to where you're an easy target?". I understand that, but instead of refusing to proceed to the open, or better yet, just driving like hell across the opening, they sit there and rock back and forth in the open. And yes, they weren't reversing out of sight, then moving forward into site again....they were in sight the entire time.

Anyways, long ramble, but again, a request for a "move on the road" and a request to make non-weaponed vehicles behave a bit more rationally when they do come under fire.

Originally posted by GJK:

My real complaint though was this: my convoys are set to to "fast move" down the road. There's an a trek of the road that is not covered by woods. For that small stretch, my convoy was in target range of several T-34's. Now, instead of the convoy continuing as fast as possible another 200 meters where the road picks up behind the woods again, they take turns sitting in the open moving forward and reverse 10 meters at a time until they are destroyed. Just rocking back and forth getting picked off one by one.

Yes, you all will post "well, would you continue driving on the road to where you're an easy target?". I understand that, but instead of refusing to proceed to the open, or better yet, just driving like hell across the opening, they sit there and rock back and forth in the open. And yes, they weren't reversing out of sight, then moving forward into site again....they were in sight the entire time.

Ah! A new form of the Dance of Death has been spotted! I wonder if National Geographic should be informed...?

Michael