bunker assault tactics

The most trouble I am having with the missions are assaulting bunkers, and especially pillboxes. I can kill the bunkers with my tanks, but anti-tank pillboxes, in my opinion, are too tough to expose my tanks to for a long time. I mostly want to learn about infantry assaults, but I am willing to learn anything. Sorry, but i also posted this in the general forums. frown.gif

I don't have as much experience taking out pillboxes as I'd like, but I believe it's mainly a matter of getting infantry (particularly engineers with satchel charges) in close behind the bunker where the door is. It's worked for me. The manual says that troops can also chuck grenades in the firing slit and flamethrowers can be used to the same effect, but who wants to put infantry close in front of a pillbox, except maybe an 88 that can't swivel quickly?

------------------

I rode a tank, held a general's rank

When the blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank.

--Rolling Stones

As I believe was already stated but I will summarize;

a. Smoke and lots of it

b. Flanking Inf and Engineers, Inf take care of other infantry, engineers will take out a pill box in a zippy.

c. Flamethowers also work but they are slow so keep em mounted or count on a bit of a wait to get em up close enough

I've NEVER been able to get a flamethrower anywhere near the enemy. Maybe I haven't been trying hard enough. The damned things draw fire like an eight-point buck on opening day.

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The damned things draw fire like an eight-point buck on opening day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what (little) I know about historical warfare, that's pretty much accurate. Burning to death is pretty low on most soldiers' lists of ways to die. A bullet _may_ not be a clean way to go, but it's preferable to getting burned alive.

It's funny: I can think of only once in the countless CM games I've played that a flamethrower team actually got to torch an enemy. (Flamethrower vehicles are another matter smile.gif)

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman