Nov.11 Remembrance Day

Lest we forget!

I salute all those who fought for, fight for, and who have died while defending FREEDOM. My uncle died in *the coffin* in Holland Oct. 26/44, he was 19. My father served in Europe from '43 to '46 with the Canadian Engineers.

My hats off to all.

Krazy Canuck,

a very proud Canadian

Amen.

Today is Veteran's Day in the United States--the day we commemorate all veterans. My grandfather, a WWII (76th ID) vet died this past year.

But the church I attended yesterday has a large group of British and Australians as well, so Remembrance Sunday was celebrated there.

My uncle was a T-Patch'er and fought in Italy and Germany. He never would talk about it. He'd always say "I was a cook and didn't get to the front lines..."

He passed away a few months ago.

Too many of us take for granted the sacrafices made by our forefathers, fathers, brothers and sons, so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have today.

COG

I had a great uncle who was killed outside of Caen in the summer of 1944 and my father's parents both served from '40 to '45 as engineers.

I also had a great-grandfather who was injured three times in the Great War and lived NOT to talk about it (unless he was in his cups). Plus, two relatives (my great-great grandfather's nephews!) killed in the First World War.

To them and all who served, thank you.

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

Lest we forget!

I salute all those who fought for, fight for, and who have died while defending FREEDOM. My uncle died in *the coffin* in Holland Oct. 26/44, he was 19.

Krazy Canuck,

a very proud Canadian

coffin.gif

You mean this coffin?

What was his name? Was he Black Watch or Calgary Highlanders?

[ November 11, 2002, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

Lest we forget!

I salute all those who fought for, fight for, and who have died while defending FREEDOM. My uncle died in *the coffin* in Holland Oct. 26/44, he was 19.

Krazy Canuck,

a very proud Canadian

coffin.gif

You mean this coffin?

What was his name? Was he Black Watch or Calgary Highlanders?</font>

I have a little site devoted to the Calgary Highlanders in World War Two - http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/ (I was going to email you but your addy isn't in your profile). I am trying to find photos of all our fatal casualties from WW II; if you wanted to contribute info or pictures regarding Private Christopher's service, it would be accepted most gratefully. The regiment just had their WW II vet's reunion a couple weekends ago, guys like your uncle haven't been forgotten!

EDIT - interesting; looking up your uncle on my casualty page, I see from his service number he enlisted in the North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, a Maritime unit (I see you are from Nova Scotia also) and had been wounded once previously, on 10 October, two weeks before he was killed. Both those facts certainly say something about the replacement system - your uncle went through a lot.

[ November 11, 2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I have a little site devoted to the Calgary Highlanders in World War Two - http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/ (I was going to email you but your addy isn't in your profile). I am trying to find photos of all our fatal casualties from WW II; if you wanted to contribute info or pictures regarding Private Christopher's service, it would be accepted most gratefully.

EDIT - interesting; looking up your uncle on my casualty page, I see from his service number he enlisted in the North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, a Maritime unit (I see you are from Nova Scotia also) and had been wounded once previously, on 10 October, two weeks before he was killed. Both those facts certainly say something about the replacement system - your uncle went through a lot.

Yeah, as did they all. As I understand it he had been wounded(shot through the shoulder) on the 10th, it had been field dressed, but, his commanding officer could not get replacements nor evac the wounded, soooo....they fought on.

Hard for me to even imagine!

(sidenote) I once asked my father why the 2 of them volunteered, thinking I'd get a very brave patriotic answer. His reply, with a shrug, was "It was the only job we could find". Hellishly poor reason to die, don't you think?

My e-mail, roadking@accesswave.ca

What exactly are you looking for, there are some letters, pics(I'm not sure of what) and other memorabilia, I'll do what I can to help.

KC

To my Great Grand Father who fought at Gallipoli in the Light Horse. He lost one of his legs and arms at the front. Returned to Australia but died of stress and injury related reasons shortly after the war had ended.

To my Grandfater who died this past year. A freedom fighter in the dutch underground. Never ever talked of major experiences, especially in 1943-1944 when the Underground really got up the German's noses.

And lets not forget all those who were soldiers on the other side, many of whome in WW2 didn't know of the death camps etc. They enlisted for what they believed in at the time and went through the same hell as the allied soldiers and deserve equal praise because something we were all meant to learn from WW2 is we are all equal.

smile.gif