Sewer Movement

I think there are some limits as to which troops may utilize sewer movement. Off the top of my head, it seems that it requires veteran experience or better, and an HQ unit with a stealth bonus. Don't rely on that though, and go check the manual.

Played a TCP QB in a large town with sewer movement on at the weekend.

You need to be Regular and in command in a 2-story Heavy building then you can do it. I didn't need to, as the only places I was interested in getting to on the opponents side of the map would have taken an estimated 20 moves+ to get there.

There is a chance that you will get lost or killed in the sewers, and commanders with a good stealth rating will help you survive.

One of the objectives was a 2 Story heavy building which I got into first. I was obvious to me that my opponent would probably try to sewer move into it, and sure enough he appeared in the building on the lower floor around turn 25. Two flamethrower teams plus a couple of squads were waiting and gave him a very hot reception. I could just imagine those poor squads lifting the manhole cover and getting a flamethrower shoved into their faces.

So the only time I saw it in action ended badly for the sewer movers. If you do get around to using it you'll probably find it very useful for fairly short hops under streets which are covered by the enemy.

It's a very nice option and a hell of a gamble, I will have it on in all my QBs from now.

[ October 24, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

The first thing I wanted to try when I installed CMBB was sewer movement. I put together a hasty Stalingrad style scenario (October 42) and made sure that I had plenty of experienced German squads.

I'd designed the scenario so that the only safe way to get across a frozen canal which divided the two sides was by sewer movement (the Russians had it totatally covered). I decided to try sending a platoon of pioneers through the sewers to take a heavy building and give me a bridgehead on the other side of the canal. That way I might be able to secure the bridge long enough to get my Stugs across.

I was told that it would take an estimated 15 minutes for the HQ to arrive and 17 minutes for the others. When the HQ unit turned up early they found themselves surrounded by smg squads, they didn't even manage to get a shot off. A few minutes later another couple of squads arrived simultaneously, one exactly where I had planned, the other in a building across the street. Both were wiped out before they knew what hit em. The other squad/s vanished, never knew what happened to them. They just didn't arrive. It was a 45 minute battle and I searched the map at the end but couldn't find any trace of them, poor sods are probably still wandering about down there.

As for the battle, I was wiped out in a big factory complex, those smg squads outgunned me every time. An OT-34 flamethrower tank firing cannister caught a whole platoon in some rubble, wiped them out. It was eventually immobilised by a tankhunter crew and finished off (with some irony I thought) by a flamethrower unit.

Great fun but hate the fact that they've got access to smg squads and I can't have em. :mad: