Airbourne Assault feature for CM?

"A realistic command and control system enables you to give orders to HQ's that in turn develop their own plans for their subordinate units. For the micro manager there is still the option to issue orders to every unit. Enjoy the best of both worlds with this innovative and powerful command system."

currently there is too much micromanagemnt for my tastes in CM. It would be nice to have the said above feature in CM2 one day

I enjoyed old SSG games and Panther Game's Fire Brigrade alot, because they were continous time. You gave orders to high level formations and the AI comamders controlled the lower level formations based upon your settings/orders for each higher level formation. The game always ran - you just order where you wanted the formations to go and what to do, their posture etc, and as the game ran the units would go about fufilling their orders.

I think a Game like CM using this system would have a much different and IMO better flavour of game play. With units reacting and doing things you don't have absolute control over. That way real tactics and strategy is rewarded rather than exact unit placement. Maybe you could give orders to squads and have the individual men in the squad move there on their own accord - or go higher level and give orders to squads/platoons and have fire teams/squads move oh their own - something like that?

This way the game can be run continously instead of turn based. I could say give general orders for the units to attack the town and in what direction, and they would move their in their own accord to fufill the objectives etc, and radio you back if the situation dictated, and you could if you wanted, never give another order again and the battle would unfold in front of your eyes without any flow disrupting turns.

Ok Maybe not in CM, but if someone could create another squad level game using this said system, that would be great!!

Colin

And think of the improvement of the enemy AI. We may see such things as successful coordination between the units of a formation at all levels, sensible realistic tactics and a lot more. If the command & control concepts in airbourne assault were to be used in CM in the future!

For those of you wondering what Airbourne assault is go back to the main battlefront homepage and take it from there - you will be astounded and amazed at this new masterpiece!

Hi,

What you describe above may make a fine game, it will in Airborne Assault I am sure. However, Airborne Assault “is a command game”, an operational game. CM is “not and command game”. In CM one plays the roles of the battalion commander, the company commander, the platoon commander, and importantly, also the squad/AFV commander.

Micro management is a big part of CM. However, one should only be able to micro manage within the limits of the training of the squad or AFV crew. Therefore in CMBO some squads react more slowly than others. Also in CMBB some commands, that are assumed to come from platoon commanders, will take far longer in tanks that lack radios. This is all how it should be, in my view.

I am not against a command game at squad level, but as an addition to CM not as a replacement. That would be a great shame, in my view.

All the best,

Kip.