infantry

TCP

The other issue is the length of your battle. It is easy to go through all of your ammo in a 30 turn game-especially if the fighting in intense. A powerfull expensive squad such as a strum or motorized still only has 40 rounds and if you buy expensive troops then ammo management becomes a concern. A 13 man squad with no ammo is useless. If you buy the cheaper, samller squads then your ammo supply is more dispersed and you have a greater ability to sustain a long firefight. You can duel with the stronger enemy squads with some of your force to deplete their ammo, then move in fresh squads to take the objectives. Of course in a shorter scenario, the stronger squads make more sense.

Likewise a large high firepower squad can be broken just as easily as a smaller sqaud. If you have many cheaper, smaller squads then the effect of one or two "!" on you force is lessened.

I personally prefer a base force of inexpensive smaller squads and then have one platoon of quality high firepower troops as a reserve-hopefully to finish off the enemy.

The choice of small versus big squads is a tough one.

First thing to notice is that I disagree with CRSutton that the big squad is a disadvantage when you are out of ammo. When both sides are out of ammo, manpower rules in close combat.

I prefer smaller squads now and I think if used properly they are more effective, especially because CMBO infantry units are vulnerable from the sides and with more (smaller) units, you will have more angle around the opponent.

However, small sqauds also mean more purcharse point overhead for all the HQs or worse units that come with platoons and companies.

I have to join the choir of those praising the SS Mot. Inf. squads - they're my personal favorite and, IMHO, the best-adapted to a variety of combat situations. Yes, they're expensive, and yes, they sometimes run out of ammo (especially if under the influence of a HQ with morale and/or firepower bonuses) but in the meantime, they win the game.

Just for fun, the other day I defended against the computer (yeah, yeah, I know...)in an infantry-only scenario with two platoons of SS Mot. Inf. and a Gebirgsjaeger (sp?) MG Company - that's 12 :eek: HMGs, mister, arranged into three platoons, along with a 120mm Mortar FO. Talk about firesack! I almost felt sorry for the computer by the end.