*DID SEARCH* Map editor returns me to desktop when I try to load a saved map

maxm2

In my search, it sounds like there have been some similar problems. However, nothing quite like this:

I am working on a map which I've saved twice and was able to reload it. I finished the "final draft," put in start zones and landmark names (but no units), and saved it in the "save file" window that always comes up in the map editor (saves in saved games folder, I think?). I then immediately attempted to reload the map/battle. CM disappeared and I was dumped to desktop. When I tried to load it again (from both the "saved game" folder and the scenario folder), the graphics on the "load" window were screwed up with file names overwriting parts of the window. My previous saves of this map would load, but not the final draft--trying to load the final draft file again dumped me back to desktop.

I ended up deleting the file and starting over with an earlier draft. Earlier drafts of the map continue to load and save normally, but the "load map" window's graphics are still overwriting each other. I have reset the preferences with no change. Nothing else in the game seems affected.

Is it possible that after I specified start zones that the program converted it into a "finished" scenario and then thought I was trying to edit a saved battle?

This cost me several hours of time and much frustration. I have had no other problems from many months of playing CM, so I know my platform is stable under a variety of conditions.

I would appreciation a reply from BTS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Max Molinaro

[This message has been edited by maxm2 (edited 02-27-2001).]

Did you accidentally save it in "Tournament" mode ? Have you rebooted your computer since (in regards to the corrupted "save file" dialog box) ?

I can only assume that the final draft became corrupted during the save process. Hence the problems trying to load the file again. Have you been able to recreate the map without problems (with all the same elements) ? Did you have any other programs open at the time you were attempting the save ?

If there was anything unique about the size or elements of the map, it may be possible to recreate the problem. However I fear that this may be one of those occasions where a fluke happened at the worst of moments and Madmatt will most likely be unable to duplicate the problem.

If you still have the file that won't load, you may want to email Madmatt and he may be able to examine the file to see what is corrupt/wrong with it.

Thanks to both Madmatt and Schrullenhaft for their replies. I am sending all my non-functional files (I tried saving it in many ways to Matt)

In case anyone else is having the same problem, I'll reply to Schrullenhaft:

Did you accidentally save it in "Tournament" mode?

A: No

Have you rebooted your computer since

(in regards to the corrupted "save file" dialog box)?

A: Yes

I can only assume that the final draft became corrupted during the save process. Hence the

problems trying to load the file again.

A: I suspect you're right, but it is troublesom that there was a corruption of a "load file" window graphic routine seemingly involved. In addition, despite rebooting and erasing then renewing my CM prefs file, the Load window continues to not display properly, even though I can load other saved maps with it.

Have you been able to recreate the map without problems (with all the same elements) ?

A: I have loaded a previous draft of the same map, altered it, and it saves and loads fine. I have not yet replicated my exact adjustments on my final "bad seed" draft since I made too many changes over three hours to remember.

Did you have any other programs open at the time you were attempting the save?

A: Always. And if the game didn't play properly with other programs open (unless we're talking virus protection or some other traditional pain in the neck background program), I would consider that a bug.

If there was anything unique about the size or elements of the map, it may be possible to

recreate the problem. However I fear that this may be one of those occasions where a fluke happened at the worst of moments and Madmatt will most likely be unable to duplicate the problem.

A: In which case, no terrible harm done. I'm going to save frequently from now on (always good advice...just never heard anyone talk about crashes in the editing program before) and if it happens again, it'll be more data.