Magnuszew AAR (as the soviets) Round #1 of 5

Magnuszew Bridgehead AAR - Round 1#

I've already played this operation as the Germans, and found it a bit too one-sided (The HG Panzer Division lost 12 HTs and tanks, along with 40 infantry; but inflicted exactly 800 casualties and destroyed 24 tanks, assault guns and ATGs). The optics on German heavy hitters are just too lethal on the open steppes to give the AI a chance (even as the defender).

This time, I'm going to try it as the Russians. It's August of 1944, the Hitlerites are attempting to push back east of the Vistula River, and my objectives are to at least hold the towns of Miriampol and Grabnowola against the HG Panzer Division. Later, when my forces are strong enough, I'm to counterattack and claim as much of the board as possible. My initial forces center around the following:

· "A" Company - Rifle Infantry Pattern 44A

· 1 45mm AT gun

· A Recon platoon

· 2 T-70 Light Tanks

Both sides are underrepresented during the first battle as the Germans are conducting a probe of lightly defended ground. Things WILL heat up.

The map is a couple of kilometers wide and just as deep. It's largely open, rolling terrain. On the western side of the board we have the small town of Dobieska, which straddles an E-W road leading straight to Miriampol - itself sitting on a patch of high ground. South of Dobieska is another E-W road that passes by Grabnowola. Each of the three towns counts as a Victory Location, as does a western intersection on the road leading to Grabnowola, dubbed "Objective A." The Miriampol and Grabnowola roads are connected east of Dobieska by another road. Where that connector meets the Grabnowola road, there is another intersection dubbed "Objective B."

Dobieska provides a jumping-off point for German thrusts at Miriampol. Objective A does the same for any attempt on Grabnowola. If the Germans take Objective B they have effectively driven a wedge between the two most important towns and split the board. Lateral troop movements for the Soviets will be impossible, and my reinforcements will get their goodies blown off as they stand, helplessly, on naked terrain.

"A" company starts the game with a platoon stationed at Grabnowola, Objective B (along with the 45mm ATG) and Miriampol. Its orders are to stay hidden. The advance recon platoon - under Lt. Durnev, is locked inside Dobieska. That's not so good for him, but I can't make myself care because I WANT to hold that town. The two T-70s are going to race down the Miriampol-Dobieska road to reinforce him. And that's about it.

I want Dobieska because holding that little hamlet will do two things:

A.) It's going to keep the Germans back far enough that my reinforcements will have room to properly deploy later in the game. Keeping it will also slow the HG Panzer Division's advance considerably.

B.) It offers the best terrain for the kind of encounters that will win me this operation. LOS is relatively short, minimizing the advantages posed by German armor and optics. It also has a lot of cover, and holds the potential to bleed German infantry white (if I handle things correctly).

Pity Lt. Durnov. I don't expect him to live through the OP.

OK - it's 5:30 AM (I couldn't sleep) so the wife and boy are in bed, meaning the Hitlerites will be unable to distract me. Time to start.

Rounds 1-8 see absolutely nothing except Lt. Mansurov (commander of the teeny T-70 platoon), scoot forward to Dobieska. The two tanks wedge themselves between small cottages so they can cover the road leading into town. Lt. Durnov's platoon has positioned itself east of a bend in the road that lets it and its attached ATR rifle wallop anyone who stumbles into their fields of fire - while minimizing their own exposure.

Round 9 shows that the Germans have staked a claim on Objective A. Someone with superhearing has noted the rumblings of light armor and halftracks around that region. The T-70s move a little further forward so they have a better chance of spotting inbound German AFVs. They're now about 80m forward of Lt. Durnov.

Rounds 10-11, and suddenly I'm hearing SPWs grinding their way through a small clearing towards the western edge of Dobieska. Lt. Mansurov draws some machine gun fire from a SPW, and misses a shot with his 45mm gun.

Round 12 - Mansurov shoots forward, then soils himself with fear as a Puma that no one had seen pops into view. The T-70 enters "Hunt" mode just in time to snap off a poorly-aimed shot. Seconds later, the German AC kills Mansurov's tank with the crack of a 50mm gun. The surviving T-70 is later ordered to hunt a little bit forward so as to hide from the Puma. I'm also hoping it can bag a few vehicles before it runs for the hills.

Meanwhile, the 45mm gun guarding the Grabnowola road is told to "stop hiding" so it can pop some rounds at a couple of SPWs seen rumbling in its direction.

Round 13 - God hates my T-70s. The surviving tank spots a Wirbelwind, hits it twice to no effect (from less than 100m), and then finds itself creamed by a second Puma which had moved to the other side of its light building and shot THROUGH the structure. I screwed up here, but it's those poor bastards crawling across Dobieska's dirt road who are going to pay for it.

My spirits lift for about 10 seconds as the 45mm ATG puts two shells through a SPW. But then HE fire from a vehicle I can't even see (and I can see everything for at least 400m) knocks out the Gun and sends the crew a'runnin. They're unhurt except for some saggy britches.

Round 14 - I get a measure of revenge in Dobieska. That first Puma turns the corner on the town's main drag and is walloped by Efr. Smekhotvorov (jeesh), who gleefully drives three 14.5mm ATR rounds through the armored car's hull. A pained howl tears from the vehicle after the second hit, so I'm hoping I have at least two vehicle kills (the beginning for Round 2# confirms the Puma has been abandoned).

Round 15 - The second Puma rushes the ATR and gets plastered with two penetrations before pulling back under smoke. LOVING IT. In addition, a squad of panzergrenadiers (the same cowardly ****s who gunned down the cowering Lt. Mansurov) try to attack Smekhotvorov and are spanked by rifle fire from one of my recon squads. Four Aryan ubermensch tumble to the ground.

Round 16 - The surviving members of that German squad crawl out of sight. Other than that, nothing happens. Game ends with me still in possession of the Dobieska VL (although my troops are padlocked inside the building). Better yet, my deployment zone for Round 2# ends just east of the town.

Results so far:

Russian losses

· 1 45mm ATG

· 2 T-70s (Damn!)

· 4 casualties total

German losses

· 1 Puma

· 1 SPW 251/1

· 5+ casualties (someone in that Puma was crying).

I'll post Round 2# sometime over the next few days.