Please Help me with CMMOS Use?

Fellow Soldiers, I not being the "brightest" bulb in the bunch, request assistance in the USE of CMMOS 3.01. I did read the ReadMe that came with it as instructed to AND I learned there HOW to USE it in the Game. And as one reads on a little further seeking info on how to ADD to it etc. you come to a point where the author says, basically, well, unless you are into Modding yourself and complicated matters - no need to read on.

I am trying to Download and install CMMOS bmps - such as "Field and Stream" - fm CNHQ I downloaded first the Rules and Regs - - - BUT now when it comes to downloading ALL the GOOD stuff I am confused as to where/how to UNZIP these mods. The author of the F&S Instructions recommends you download each of them into separate folder and then individually install each BMP (that's the way I read it amyway -WOW! Labor Intensive - and how do you know Where to ADD each one).

OR - another bit of INFO I came upon, and HOPE this one is the CORRECT one; after installing the new Rules and Regs Info for whatever - THEN - you can just download any CMMOS approved Mod right into your old CMBO bmp Folder and it will be recorded in both Game Folder and CMMOS Utility. Tell me this latter method is the correct one- PLEASE.

Thanks, PFC Ignoramus ;)

Hey dude, I know itsconfusing, and im sure one of these guys can tell you what to do. But you may as well unintall CMMOS 3.01, cuz with luck, CMMOS 3.02 comes out this weekend. They told me you cant have 3.01 once 3.02 is out. Im waiting for it, I recommend you wait too, but its up to.

To answer your question, I think you unzip your Mods, into your Combat Mission BMP folder, it wont copy over anything, they use a code or something that CMMOS reads, to install Mods on your CM, as for rule Set's, I think you just stick them in the CMMOS folder, next to the other Rule Sets. Of course, I hope someone who knows what their doing, tell me if this is right or not.

THANKS Volker,

I think I'll do just that - UNINSTALL - they made it sound like Best thing Since Sliced Bread, BUT, IF 3.02 comes with easier/understandable instuctions - I'll wait and try it. Was NO Problem installed the Rule SETS - I just don't know HOW or WHERE to install the graphical eye candy (heehee).

Am glad to here though that we are in the same "FOX-HOLE" on this Utility.

Over and Out - PFC on Latreen Duty :cool:

All of the bmp files go in the CMBO\BMP folder. The files are named so that CMMOS can use them. They don't overwrite any of the standard CMBO files. When you use CMMOS it loads in the mods you select and CMBO remembers those selections until you change them. Adding mods to CMMOS is easy, unless you are adding a whole new category that has new rulesets. Adding new rulesets can be a little confusing, but each new version of CMMOS incorporates any new rulesets that may have been released since the prior version. The new veriosn we are waiting for should make things easier and I think it also supports sound mods as well.

This may be one of the last times anyone has to address this issue in quite this way, but here goes...

There's Old Style and New Style. Old Style (pre-3.02) builds character, and New Style (3.02) is just around the corner (ETA is a state secret to which only the Bald One is privy at this point). Old Style can be sloppy or labor intensive, as you prefer. The reason for being labor intensive is that most of these zip files have a lot of little things in them besides the bmps -- if you dump the whole thing unexamined into your CMBO bmp folder you'll end up with an accumulation of crud and unread readme files where it will do you absolutely no good.

Ok, enough with the introduction. Here, for what may be the last time is how the Old Style works.

OLD STYLE:

Components: RuleSets, File List Additions, BMP files. Don't assume that you will encounter all of these in every case.

Sub-components: RuleSets ( Icons, Disabled Icons, Rules, Description Files, Advanced Rules, Information Files); File List Additions (File List additions); BMP files (bmp files with funny extensions after the numbers).

HINT: Never mess around with the contents of a RuleSet. In fact, don't even look inside of it, it will give you a headache.

WHAT GOES WHERE:

1) BMP files go inside the CMBO\BMP folder.

2) RuleSets go inside the GEM Software Productions\CMMOS folder.

3) File List Additions go inside the GEM Software Productions\CMMOS\File List folder.

4) Loose RuleSet components (see above) go inside the correspondingly numbered RuleSet folder inside of the GEM Software Productions\CMMOS folder.

GENERAL COMMENT:

If you're feeling brave and/or lazy you can close your eyes and unzip that bunch of bmp files directly into your CMBO\BMP folder. Your expensive computer is a tough machine, and it can take it. It really is ok, honest. Of course, the fact that no two people put these things together in quite the same way and that there might be a readme file of monumental historical or social significance (not to mention the occasional x-rated photograph) tucked away in there somewhere shouldn't be allowed to dissuade you from cluttering up your CMBO\BMP folder with useless files that you'll never see.

On the other hand, making a habit of dumping the unknown contents of zips into a separate folder not only protects you from organizational chaos, it makes the inside of your hard drive prettier and builds character as well.

The choice is yours.

USEFUL COMMENT:

Just to clarify, when you go from one version of CMMOS to another, the ONLY thing that is getting altered is your GEM Software Productions/CMMOS folder. All those CMMOS mods that you laboriously unzipped and copied to your CMBO/BMP folder are completely unaffected. Moreover, if a particular mod works in one version of CMMOS, it will work in a later one as well, unless that mod as been completely scrapped and replaced by a new one (in which case someone would be giving you the new bmp's as well).

Switching from an older version of CMMOS to a CMMOS 3.02 takes about a minute and a half, assuming that you are as computer challenged as I am. A normal person can probably do it in well under a minute. So go ahead and use the older version of CMMOS until 3.02 comes out.

NEW STYLE:

Components: Self-installing CMMOS programs, BMP files, WAV files.

Sub-components: BMP and WAV files (bmp and wav files have funny extensions after the numbers). The other stuff exists, but the program will take care of it.

WHAT GOES WHERE:

1) BMP files go inside the CMBO\BMP folder. Nothing different about this.

2) WAV files go inside the CMBO\WAVE folder.

3) The Self-install program takes care of everything else.

GENERAL COMMENT:

For all intents and purposes, CMMOS 3.02 is backwards compatible as far as the bmp files go. No, you will not have to re-install all those mods that you went crazy over getting inside of your CMBO\BMP folder.

CMMOS 3.02 now allows the switching of sound files. However, sound files tend to be very large, and to make them transportable they are usually presented as MP3 files. In order to install them you will have to convert them to WAV files first. A quick search with your browser will turn up any number of freeware converters on the web.

CMMOS 3.02 relieves you of having to worry about what to do with all the pieces that make the CMMOS engine work. The downside is that it probably won't be updated more than once a month, if even.

FINAL COMMENT:

That section in Gordon's notes that says don't read this unless you are planning on making one of these things is actually very interesting. Knowing how to write CMMOS instructions actually makes it easier to understand what, if anything you might be doing wrong when your turret shows up in a different color from the rest of your tank.

ABSOLUTE FINAL COMMENT (Honest):

Inside GEM SOFTWARE PRODUCTIONS/CMMOS there is a log file. Get to know it. This file is your friend. Reading it will tell you things like the reason that mod didn't change is because you didn't hit the application button (I do that one all the time), or the mod simply isn't installed. You don't have to do anything with this file, just consider it light entertainment.

[ May 03, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Thanks Phillipe for that LAST Final Comment - I FINALLY Understand, I think (heehee)!

GREAT although I cluttered up my present CMMOS Folder with some bmp's that should not have been unzipped there - I will NOW do it the RIGHT WAY (or go to the Stockade). After that good explanation - I will keep THIS present CMMOS and just ADD the upgrade "patch" when it comes out - WALA - I can now get back to Downloading Graphical Goodies to my CMBO BMP Collection. YAHOO!!!

TKS Soldiers! ;)

That's exactly what I was going to say what Phillipe said but he saved me the writing. Well plus I couldn't have explained it quite that way. So it's basically magic and will just appear in our computers. Cool! OK, I'm waiting. :D

I went around gathering up Mods for tanks and other such things CMMOS does not change, that way I'll be set once its out. Most of the things CMMOS uses, I have left unmodded. But I have my stock pile of CMMOS Mods ready to go.