Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

T-37, T-38 Tankette Amphibious?

Is that a rudder and propeller on the back of T-37 and T-38 Tankettes? If not then what is the stuff that appears on the rear of the model in the game?

If they were amphibious were they effective? Can anyone recommend any resources on these things? I'm fascinated because frankly I had no idea that something like this existed on the East Front. I did a search of the groups for this but couldn't find anything?

Cordylus said:

Is that a rudder and propeller on the back of T-37 and T-38 Tankettes?
Having built the models from which the textures were made, I can assure you that YES, those are props and rudders :D . The T40 has them also.

If they were amphibious were they effective?
Sources say different things. Zaloga in Red Army Handbook says the T37s/T38s leaked so badly that they really couldn't be used amphibiously. And that the concept didn't seem to be useful so was dropped as a feature of later Soviet WW2 light tanks. OTOH, the blurb on the instruction sheet of the T38 kit said as late as 1944, a T38 unit used in an amphibious river crossing played a decisive role in establishing an important bridgehead later used in one of the final assaults on Germany. So go figure.

Thanks... It sure looked like a rudder on the back but I wasn't sure.

So far I've found the tankettes quite useful. Cheap, good speed and protection from small arms. If they can cross rivers or function like an assault boat then even better but I'm guessing that they wont work amphibiously in the game. I'll still give it a try.

Had the game 2 days and already I've discovered something completely unknown to me. Can't wait to see what else I'll find.

Congrats on having your model selected. smile.gif

Originally posted by Cordylus:

Thanks... It sure looked like a rudder on the back but I wasn't sure.

So far I've found the tankettes quite useful. Cheap, good speed and protection from small arms. If they can cross rivers or function like an assault boat then even better but I'm guessing that they wont work amphibiously in the game. I'll still give it a try.

Had the game 2 days and already I've discovered something completely unknown to me. Can't wait to see what else I'll find.

Congrats on having your model selected. smile.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read this was a NEW feature in CMBB that there would be historically accurate amphibious vehicles in the game??

Any more info on this one.

Those amphibious Russian vehicles "should" cross rivers in the game?

no?

-tom w

Guest Sgt. Emren

Related:

Are there any river-crossing scenarios in CMBB?

I won´t get the game until I return from Spain (work), so could anyone tell me? It´s been kind of cool (no, you idiot! The weather here is still nice!), anyways, to be away on business while the game is making its curious ways to stores across Europe! Makes it easier to wait, sitting outside and watching an Atlantic sunset, sipping red wine!

I made a map with a large pond and was unable to plot movement orders for tankettes onto water tiles. Too bad. I'm assuming BTS figured it wasn't worth the time to code a marginal feature of questionable utility. I can imagine some gamey uses if they worked just like assault boats. It would have been cool if they could enter water tiles with a high probability to bog and if they do bog in water they sink. Would have been great for flanking a well defended ford.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

are there amphibious vehicle units in this game that can cross rivers?

OriginalIy posted by Cordylus:

I made a map with a large pond and was unable to plot movement orders for tankettes onto water tiles.

HTH :D

Michael</font>