tricky and highly effective mg placement

xerxes

Hardcore CMers I'm sure know this, but for the newbies (like myself) here's a useful tactical placement.

I'm playing a pbem with claus from the TH ladder, a great guy btw. I've encountered a very clever mg placement that's caused me all sorts of grief. Let me describe.

He's placed a vickers mg just behind the crest of a small hill which still retains LOS to a lot of my advance routes. I've had my StuH fire repeatedly at it. The shots consistently:

1. fly over and impact beyond the vickers.

2. hit the small hill in front of the vickers.

result: little or no damage and lots of wasted HE.

To prevent wasting HE I've had to use the "ambush" command to control the darn StuHs firing at the vickers.

It was a great placement and has caused mucho annoyance to me.

It's a "reverse slope" placement for the mg but since it's close to the crest the mg still exerts firing lanes that prevent my movement. The placement also seems to provide protection against my 3 hmgs that have wasted a lot of ammo trying to shut down the vickers.

A tactic to use in the future!

- marc

His placement on the hill should not affect your HMG fire. If he is not taking much damage from it, it just means he is in good cover. What cover% does the game report?

Regarding the StuGs, it might be better to move them someplace where they cannot see the vickers. The problem is you have to be careful with an ambush set that the enemy come at you from outside of the ambush zone and get a free shot.

All great points wreck, thanks. I'm limited in my attack paths which means I don't have another good placement for my stug. Then again, I might be able to move the stug into a position that can't see the vick. Hehe, you just gave me the solution wreck, it's so simple I could kick myself. Wish I'd handled this thirteen 105mm HE shells ago. Thanks.

-marc

Guest PondScum

Or if that StuH has any smoke, you could shoot it 10m in front of the Vickers...

Getting just behind the crest of a slope is a very powerful position for pretty much any unit. You've been unlucky not to significantly rattle it with 13 shells though.