Pc shuts down

Help!Everytime I try to run CM (cmbb and cmak) my PC shuts down. I experienced that problem before, but it only happened when the room temp was really hot and when I was playing some hours. I think it is an overheating problem because when the system shut down I had too wait a couple of minutes before I could turn the computer back on.

But now as it shuts down at once,I can turn it on again after a short time. Besides CM all games are running fine(e.g. Americas Army)

And by the way, my graphics card won´t display any

fog in cm, all i can see is a grey screen-still wasn´t able to fix it

Fan Whisper Rock IV

Mainboard Asrock K7S8X

Cpu Athlon 2500 Barton

graphics card Leadtek 5900xt

power supply 300W

normal:

GPU 48C

Board 36C

CPU Temp 46C

While playing CM-don´t now exactly-but at least:

Cpu 55C

How long does it take CM to reboot your computer ? Can you play for a certain amount of time or is it almost as soon as you load a scenario/op ?

Did you ever have another videocard in this computer other than the Leadtek 5900XT ? If so, did you ever uninstall those drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers or have you had other Nvidia drivers installed without uninstalling them ?

Older Nvidia drivers used to have a check-box to "enable fog-table emulation", but that feature has been gone for quite awhile. Now I assume that the fog-table emulation is just on by default. You're gray screen sounds reminiscent of an ATI Rage 128 Pro driver a long time ago. However I personally haven't seen this behavior from an Nvidia card.

To address the fog problem I suggest uninstalling your video driver from the Add/Remove Programs control panel (and check for any other drivers that may still be listed in there and attempt to uninstall them too). Next use a program like Nasty File Remover or Driver Cleaner to possibly remove any driver remanants.

I'm not sure what is happening with your computer shutting down. This would sound like overheating behavior, though if your temp readings are accurate a 55C reading on the CPU isn't exactly overheating (which would seem to be the component most likely to overheat with CM compared to other games running fine).

I don't see anything that would be applicable with a K7S8X BIOS update (latest v. 2.6), though you could apply it to see if it does anything helpful (most of the video issues mentioned involve ATI Radeon 9800 series cards). Though I don't know why CM would cause a problem and not other games, you may want to update the AGP driver for your motherboard the SiS AGP driver v. 1.19a (select Chipset software > AGP (GART) Driver > your OS).

Thanks for your reply. I really don´t know what is going on because I can start cm again(but haven´t play it) but now Americas Army is causing the same problem. Yesterday I just played it for a while... system shut down.This never happened before.And after I turned the pc on again, the system was shutting down twice. I really panicked because at the moment I need my PC for scholar work. Thank god, the system is currnetly running.

It may used to be an overheating problem but now it isn´t because right after shut down the fan heatsink is almost cold.

I guess it is some kind of hardware malfunction.

Concerning the fog problem- I did have a radeon card on this system but I think that I formated my hard disk before putting in the nvidia card, I am not sure though. Anyway I am going to try out the file remover.

I just had CMAK bomb out on my eVGA FX5900 after running for roughly 5 hours - I haven't played much CM the past 4 months, but all temps (including GPU) nominal. Same thing - system reset.

Interestingly enough, windows reported the error upon reboot as a suspect vid card driver... I'm currently running 56.72, so I'll update it and see if it helps. However, I've had a few minor glitches with various stuff since the last critical Windows Update (though NOT using SP2 yet).

Happy New Year, Schrullenhaft.

Things are getting more strange. First my pc was shutting down as soon as the WinXP logo appeared-everytime.Again,i had to wait about 1min before the pc responded.So I only could boot in win save mode.I tried to run my AntiVir program (in the save mode) but that caused the pc to shut down,too,right after the program started to check the boot system etc. Now after the 4th reboot and without changing anything the system starts in the normal mode again

My question is, could that still be a hardware malfunction, because the system still works in save mode? Or is something like that only caused by a software problem?

Yeah, so moving to the 66.92 driver (wasn't brave enough to try out the brand-new 71. series) and reducing my GPU's overclock somewhat resolved the issue. CM seems to run better on this driver anyway.

Platt, you're in a world of hurt. It may be time to roach that puppy and re-install Windows. :(

Okay, Problem solved. Just bought me a new mainboard,new cpu, new ram.

I tried everything to fix the problem, it didn´t help.But it was denfinitely some kind of hardware malfunction.Damn, I really had no time to check any good offers.And the worst thing is, I didn´t enjoy buying the new hardware, which I normally do.

Actually I wanted to buy an Intel CPU (after three Athlon in five years) but my dealer vended only P4 which were too expensive. So I ended up in buying a Sempron 3000+ (almost at the same price as my Athlon 2500, which I bought 2 years ago!)

Anyway, thanks for your help