Heavy fog at night

Holy cow does that make assault tough. I just finish a game versus the AI where I was using main line Brit infantry on the attack versus SMG squads with visibility at 25m. My squads disintigrated upon contact with the enemy and were routed pretty instantly. The only way I was able to win was with Wasps, and my 3 tanks (plus a good dose of 4.2in morters). First, were my squads routing due to the overpowering firepower, or do squads generally panic more easily upon surprise contact. Secound, anyone have good infantry tactics when visibilty is 25m?

Pete

If you know it's going to be a night scenario, load up on squads with short range firepower (admittedly hard to do with the Brits). Your overwatch distances also need to shrink down to next to nothing.

Take this all with a shaker full of salt, as I've only won one night scenario. :(

Guest PondScum

Squads definitely panic more easily upon surprise contact. This is why ambushes can be so lethal. Fighting at night in heavy fog, virtually every contact becomes an intense short-range ambush situation. And SMG squads are just about the most lethal unit out there at 25m - you did well to survive. As you found, flamethrowers also really come into their own in low-visibility situations.

As the map was small (800pt defense) I came in down the left and attacked a small flag seperated from the rest expecting minimal resistance. Instead is was heavily guarded by a HSMG squad. It took 4 inf squads, a 2in Morter, WASP, and Sherman III to take it out, but not until it routed one of my squads and inflicted 12 casualties. But that wasn't the worse part. Just after that the remaining to squads of 1st platoon (with HQ) ran into a 81mm morter which routed BOTH squads before my wasp came to the rescue. Not to be out done, his FO routed a different squad when they tried to enter the building the FO was in. Apparently the FO has a pretty good "BOO!!!"

Does anybody have an opinion whether it is better or worse to split squads with a good chunk of your force in this kind of situation? I'm thinking that at each ambush will only wipe out a half-squad, but I'm not sure about the firepower efficacy of the force that follows this route.

Well I've found that good leadership (morale+, and stealth+,etc..)in situations like this is a thing ya want to have. I've had no luck using teams like you've suggested, redeker, it just throws men away and you'll still have to face the enemy pos with less forces. Move and sneak forward, even crawl if you suspect you're near an enemy strongpoint. Try and advance to a suspected enemy stronghold from a flank direction to help offset any set ambush.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Capt:

Two things:

Leave the tanks at home, they are sitting ducks to AT teams.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would disagree. In the heavy fog with visibility at 25m I would argue that the tanks flanks are BETTER protected. If the tanks are positioned correctly with inf support, the AT teams need to come out of their ambush spots to attack. In the game I just played the AI's 75mm AT gun never came into the picture. It makes armor battle REALLY interesting.