CMBO - trying to get the AI to behave

Hi guys

I'm working on a CMBO scenario and am experimenting with various flag positions and so on to get the AI to behave in the way I'd like it to. I've also built in a map exit as part of the axis objectives and I had assumed that the AI would try to maximise its score by moving units off the map (at least towards the end of the game). However, it seems that this isn't the case. I just whizzed through the scenario to see how the AI reacted to having an exit edge but all the AI units just sat there and did nothing. Am I expecting to much of the AI?

Cheers

Strontium Dog

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

You must designate the units as "should exit for points" in the editor. In game, these units will display this exit info when you select the unit and hit Enter.

Treeburst155 out.

Hi Treeburst155

Thanks. I've actually done that already but the units still seem to just sit there and do nothing. Any other ideas?

Strontium Dog

Design your scenarios specifically around the AI as defender. :D The AI is much better at defending. Maybe you need victory flags WITH the exit zone. I'm no scenario designer, really.

I would not be surprised to find there is a demand for good scenarios against a defending AI. Some people don't have time for TCP, and don't like the drawn out nature of PBEM. These people would play the AI a lot.

Good Luck!

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Frunze:

The AI doesn't usually do to well at exiting units. Most exit scenarios I've seen specify that they should be played two-player or with the AI as defender.

Thanks for that Frunze. I'm just about to give up trying to persuade the AI that exiting the map is a good thing to do. It just doesn't seem to want to know. The AI is the defender in my scenario but its a bit more subtle than that and that just throws it completely. I think I'll have to stick to making it a 2-player affair only.

Over the weekend I finished a couple of excellent scenarios which were playable as a defender against the a/i. One was designed by "Berlichtingen" and the other was designed by "Abbott", as they are known on this forum. Maybe you could e-mail them and ask for pointers.

I've been involved in playtesting a bit and can say that just from my own observations (that is, with no designing experience), seemingly minute changes in the location of a VL can make a huge difference in the way the a/i responds. This will sound over the top, but there is an awful lot of "art" involved in manipulating the a/i in scenario design.

Thanks for you thoughts Agua. I think I'm getting a better feel for what the AI can and cannot do well and I'll certainly make sure I playtest my scenario as much as possible.

I've actually just run into a small problem which one of you guys might be able to help with. I've been playtesting the scenario I'm working on with fog of war turned off so I can see whats going on and playing both sides alternately (I'll play test it against someone else later). One really weird thing I've noticed is that when I play as the Americans all the German units are rotated 180 degrees from their setup positions i.e. they all face backwards! Has anyone seen this before? If so how do you stop it happening?