Loading CM

I loaded CM and I loaded the patch. When I went to start programs it would load version 1.0, and when I loaded from the exe in the game folder it would load 1.12. I decided to unload and reload software. Now it will not reload. The Maintenance Wizard comes up and gives me the option to modify, repair or remove. When I try to modify it loads all the games files to C:\Windows with no option to load to any other folder. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Larry Marks

The modify and repair options in the CM installer (what you described as Maintenance Wizard) can only be applied to the folder into which CM was last installed. If you want to reinstall CM to a different folder then you will need to first remove the existing installation by selecting the "remove" option. After CM has been removed then run the CM installer again and this time change the default folder target to where you want it to go.

Since you seem to be experiencing too many problems trying to use installers to install and uninstall CMBO, I'd suggest performing a 'manual' install. The files on the CDROM aren't compressed, and in fact a number of players make the mistake of actually playing the game off of the CDROM. Madmatt has written up an FAQ with some instructions on the manual install (a couple of subjects down from the top):

CMBO FAQ:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001795

Other than a very small registry entry, CMBO hardly does anything to your system. All of the necessary files (for the PC) are installed in the CMBO directory, typically located in the PROGRAM FILES directory. To get rid of the CMBO uninstallation listing you would have to edit your registry.

Try these ...

1. Find the Temp folder inside the Windows folder. Delete everything inside. This will remove possible conflicts from wrongfully surviving remnants of previous CM or other installations. Happens sometimes when an installation is interupted or fails. Restart your computer. Now run the CM installer by double clicking on the file titled "setup.exe" on the CM CD (i.e. don't use the Maintenance Wizard/Add Remove Programs control panel in this case).

2. If the above does not solve your problem then do what is below.

Find and open the "InstallShield Installation Information" folder inside the Programs folder on drive C. Find a folder titled "(BD1DC860-2B0A-11D4-BD2E-00500480A380)" - which is the installer identification string for most versions of CM. This folder should be created automatically every time that CM is installed on a PC. Open this folder and double click on a file titled "Setup.ini" - on most systems this file will then be opened as a text file. If Windows asks you what program to use to open this file then select a text reader or a word processor. Once the file is open, look for the phrase "AppName=Combat Mission". If you find this phrase then you have found the right folder. Close the "Setup.ini" and delete the entire "(BD1DC860-2B0A-11D4-BD2E-00500480A380)" folder. Restart your computer. Now run the CM installer by double clicking on the file titled "setup.exe" on the CM CD (i.e. don't use the Maintenance Wizard/Add Remove Programs control panel in this case).

Some older versions of CM did not use the installer information id string mentioned above. So if you do not find a folder titled "(BD1DC860-2B0A-11D4-BD2E-00500480A380)" then go through the other folders that are in the "InstallShield Installation Information" folder and open each occurance of the file titled "Setup.ini" until you find one containing the phrase "AppName=Combat Mission". Delete that folder and continue as described above.

If the above successfully removes the entries that are confusing the Windows op system, the first thing you should see after running the CM installer is a Window that says "Wecome to the InstallShield Wizard for Combat Mission". Click the "Next" button and you should then see a window that has a block of text at the bottom that includes the words "Destination Folder" and a button labeled "Browse". The default destination should be shown as "C:\Program Files\CMBO". If you want to install to a different folder then click on the "Browse" button and use the subsequent directory window to select a new destination folder. Continue the installation.