Only two turns worth....

of 81mm mortar ammo?

Ok, I've just received my new copy of CMBO this weekend by mail.

I've played the tutorial scenario, but I think I should have had more pleasure from my 81mm FO.

After two turns he got targeted by the german 81mm FO (at least that's what I think it was). Off course my FO ran away to evade the incoming mortar shells.

After this he had no ammo left, but I saw that he had 1 casualty and 1 healthy person.

Does this mean his radio got damaged and he couldn't call in more mortars? Or does he really hav only two turns of 81mm at his disposal?

Ok thanks,

Now that I know this I can plan it more to have the maximum amount of damge from them.

Not that I wasted any rounds in my first scenario. I waited for the Germans to occupy the victory flag and I shelled them there.

I ended with 12 casualties against 56 injured/killed germans.

Off course I forgot to look at the turn numbers, so that the battle ended just when I was ready to bayonette the germans. :( It ended up as a draw, but still a nice result for a first time if I may say so smile.gif

81mm is more for suppressing purposes (unless used on troops in the open) or for smoking missions (for those of course you don't need to fire the full load, and your 81mm will last the full game is used carefully).

If you want to inflict significant casualties to the ennemy, go for bigger shells.

Also check this topic for valuable information :

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001027

[ April 04, 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

You can get more out of your arty by moving the tartget in the oders phase. Moving the target point a short way (and still in LOS) will give about 13 seconds delay, which will help spread the fire over an extra turn or so. This can have the added advantage of giving time for the enemy troops to get up. Even puny 81mm rounds are deadly against troops moving.

The Commonwealth 3" mortars are lethal just about anytime...blast value of 26 vs. the 81mm's blast of 19, IIRC. If you compare that to the blast of the German *75mm* tank/arty shell, which is 34...

[ April 05, 2002, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]