Smoke Grenades

This is my first venture into the actual game forum since purchasing the game. Recently I was involved in a Quick Battle against the computer. The computer was German and I was Allied. Throughout the battle, I would keep targetting the German infantry units with my tanks. After one or two turns of firing, smoke would suddenly appear between the tank and the infantry, either on one or the other's position. As far as I am aware, infantry are not issued with smoke grenades in the game, so where was the smoke coming from? My tank wasn't firing it.

'ello

There might be a hidden enemy mortar team dropping smoke rounds between your armor and his poor, besieged comrades.

I've seen it happen before. Look for "infantry?" symbols in the treelines that might have a LOS to the smoked terrain. (Any unidentified enemy infantry units.) Probably a mortar team. Shell that target for a turn or two, and your smoke problem will probably blow away.

Other than that possibility . . . it might very well have been your tank that snuck a smoke round or two onto the target. The TAC AI has a tendency to smoke enemy targets that are imperilling fellow infantry. It can be annoying. Since the TAC AI will switch to smoke even after you definitively selected TARGET: MAIN GUN: YES!!!! Heh heh . . .

Check on the smoke rounds remaining for the tanks in question.

KFS smile.gif

EDIT: DOH! Moon, you speedy typist! smile.gif

[ April 06, 2002, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: KnifeForkSpoon ]

Unfortunately, I think KFS may be right. One of my few, minor complaints with the AI, is when it decides to have tanks fire smoke rounds rather than HE. If some of your infantry is being threatened by the target, the ai will sometimes fire smoke to provide cover, regardless of the fact you'd prefer it to pound the target with HE. Could also be an enemy mortar or vehicle firing smoke for cover as well.

Originally posted by Aunty Jack:

This is my first venture into the actual game forum since purchasing the game. Recently I was involved in a Quick Battle against the computer. The computer was German and I was Allied. Throughout the battle, I would keep targetting the German infantry units with my tanks. After one or two turns of firing, smoke would suddenly appear between the tank and the infantry, either on one or the other's position. As far as I am aware, infantry are not issued with smoke grenades in the game, so where was the smoke coming from? My tank wasn't firing it.

in CMBO Tanks will "pop Smoke" right away when threatened by somthing big and dangerous.

did the Tac AI just make your Tanks automatically pop smoke and retreat?

-tom w