Can the SU-100 toast Kingtigers?

Hi!

I will get the game tomorow, but I just can't wait! Please, someone tell me: How does the SU-100 fare against KTs? I mean, in CD:BO, the Uebercats were really, really, annoying (once, I pounded one from the flanks with 2 Hellcats for almost 60 sec at less than 100 m distance, and the KT killed both Hellcats!!!), and I would love to pay back a friend of mine who just loves to use them. So, can that 100 mm gun punch through the KTs frontal armor? Please, I just need to know. Oh, and how about the 122 mm gun from the IS-tanks?

Are you sure? I mean, I got pretty good results against the KT with Challengers in CM:BO. They only cost have as much as the KT, so I could face each of them with two 17-pounder guns. This usually resulted in dead KTs. Dead Challengers, too, but who cares if they take out the KTs on that hill from where they can overlook half the map? I have hoped for a similar effect with the SU-100, which has a darn powerful-sounding gun, too.

Edit: Oh dear, I have just realized that I have posted in the worng forum. Sorry for that, folks.

[ September 30, 2002, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: meldorian ]

Originally posted by meldorian:

Are you sure? I mean, I got pretty good results against the KT with Challengers in CM:BO. They only cost have as much as the KT, so I could face each of them with two 17-pounder guns. This usually resulted in dead KTs. Dead Challengers, too, but who cares if they take out the KTs on that hill from where they can overlook half the map? I have hoped for a similar effect with the SU-100, which has a darn powerful-sounding gun, too.

Edit: Oh dear, I have just realized that I have posted in the worng forum. Sorry for that, folks.

The SU-100 can penetrate 193mm @100m. The KT weakest frontal armor is 185mm on the turret front. At 47m range the SUs chance of killing the KT is "rare".

If you target a King Tiger with either an SU-100, IS-2, or T-44 from inside 200m the display shows kill chance as RARE. Outside 300m the kill chance is NONE, from direct front. However, in the demo for CMBB I had many idividual Russian AT guns with chances of a kill fire en masse and kill German tanks. No single hit KOs, but enough hits that eventually the tanks would get KO'd.

So I think that kill chance "NEVER" means for a 1 hit kill.

Hope this helps.

Ok, thank you, guys.

One more question, though: Are autocannons still as effective as in CM:BO? I mean, I don't think I have ever played as a German without some 20 mm or 37 mm guns to ward off those Hellcats. The 37 mm I think was pretty effective against almost anything cheaper than 100 points, too. If these guns have remained unchanged, wouldn't the Russian 37 mm AAG be the ultimate defensive weapon in the early war?

Originally posted by meldorian:

Ok, thank you, guys.

One more question, though: Are autocannons still as effective as in CM:BO? I mean, I don't think I have ever played as a German without some 20 mm or 37 mm guns to ward off those Hellcats. The 37 mm I think was pretty effective against almost anything cheaper than 100 points, too. If these guns have remained unchanged, wouldn't the Russian 37 mm AAG be the ultimate defensive weapon in the early war?

They are a bit more expensive now, esp. the 37mm, and a bit more than that depending on rarity. Here's some sample prices, June '41, standard rarity:

name price rarity multiplier

45mm Model 1938 AT gun 23 No Change

37mm AT gun 18 +30%

25mm AA gun 39 +200%

37mm AA gun 90 +125%

76mm AA gun 108 +80%

85mm AA gun 113 +80%

So w/o rarity, the 37mm is only 40pts.

Ok... I'm glad this subject came up. I have been playing ... A Cold Winter's day or something.. it is the scenario included on the CD where you hold the river as Germans against an onslaught of tanks and infantry with a handful of troops, a JgPzIV and a 50mm AT gun. I saw the reinforcement notice after turn 9 or 10 but couldnt find the reinforcements ... after looking a while... I saw this amazing sight. On the road way in the rear corner of the map .. a stinkin' KING TIGER! smile.gif well, I am thinking... all might not be lost after all.

I move the King up to a good spot in the town where he has a decent line of sight on the advancing Ami armor as well as being able to lend some support to my embattled troops trying to hold the stone bridge from infantry coming from the woods. I also took care to make sure the 185mm front armor was facing the direction the enemy tanks would come from.

On the 20th turn, I was paying attention to keeping my JgPzIV alive and took a look around after the turn... my KT was abandoned! I had partial fog of war enabled, mainly to examine who the enemy troops kill .. I examined every one ... no KT kill.... There was an M36 Jackson there, which had the best chance with it's 90mm ... it didnt have a KT kill. The other tanks there were 75 and 76 Shermans and one Priest. No enemy tank was within 800m of the KT.

The only thing I can think of is that the gun was hit ... Does the crew usually bail out then? I did notice Stuarts taking shots at the KT, kind of suicidal if I say so ... smile.gif

UPDATE: I played the scenario again and the KT was toasted again, this time late in the game, sometime in the 50s. I replayed the action and saw the culprit.... Believe it or not, it was a Sherman 76! I took a look and the armor penetration tables say the tungsten rounds can poke a hole in 214 mm at 500m. This encounter took place at 664m, according to the red line when the King was targeting the Shermy. Ironically, the big cat took two shots at it's killer before it's demise, missing one completely and getting only a ricochet on the other.

It's almost like the roles were reversed. As much as I like that big hunk of metal, it had already done it's job by the time it bit the dust. The attackers couldn't find a way to hurt my dug in JgPzIV either.... The kill stats were amazing: 3 Sherman 76s, a Jumbo, an M36 Jackson, an M10, 2 M8 Greyhounds, 2 M3 HTs and 7 infantry casualties with 4 HE and 12 AP rounds to spare smile.gif .

[ October 04, 2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: vondeath ]