Tough AI troops

A simple question.

How is possible that the AI troops who are located in a building be so determined/brave, call it what you will. While the building has just been demolished by a Panther from 240 meters, there are no less than 3 halftracks within 120 meters, all targeting these troops and the AI can still fire back and take out a squad of recon located in sheltered trees 40-50 meters away. These guys are tough!! I'm sure that if it was my fat ass in that building and a Panther was blasting away from point blank range that I'd be heading for the hills ASAP with ears ringing loudly and in severe shell shock!!. I'm aware that rubble does provide decent cover, but...c'mon the bloody building has just been blown all to hell from 240 meters!! Sure wish my guys could be this good.

the befuddled,

KC

I had a similar situation myself when my Russian force was attacking the Finns in defence. One lousy Green '42 finnish Rifle squad held up my advance by steadfastly refusing to run away when the wooden building they were in was destroyed by my T34's. I then targetted a Maxim MG, a platoon of Russian rifle squads as well as the MG's of a T34 & a Stuart and still the little bastard managed to kill 15 of my men as I tried to rush his position across open ground while under this hail of fire.

Mind you, on the consolation side, it was about the only effective Finnish unit in the whole game as the computer had randomly picked Green troops for itself and although there were plenty of 'em, they didn't like the cold steel up 'em, noooo.... they didn't like the cold steel up 'em. (Spoken in a typical Corporal Jones voice of course).

Regards

Jim R.