CMBB: MG supression method

Guest Panzer Boxb

Guest Panzer Boxb

Now that supression fire is critical to advancing I was wondering how others are using it and how effective they find it.

From my limited experience so far I have found the HMGs and MG armed vehicles to be ideal for providing the cover fire so desperately needed by the infantry (found that out the hard way). Sometimes I try to guess where the enemy is and area fire there or if I have units to spare I'll split up a squad and use them to recon in advance.

When area firing my personal experience so far is to aim "long" for the spot I am aiming for. The reason for this is I have noticed a propensity for area fire to hit short rather than overshoot. So, it seems best to aim long and let the supression effect of the MG's path of fire work to my advantage.

Gentlemen, your thoughts and observations, please?

I have noted that some of my opponents seem to be firing on "sound" contacts. Mainly they shoot to either side of the actual unit. Use overkill, gentlemen(and the occasional lady). Fire at the contact, of course, but also take 2 other weapons and target 20-30m to either side. Should take care of the bugger, and any friends that maybe hiding nearby...and aim deep as was stated above. Rounds smacking short just look silly; if they go over their heads, the less stalwart will "take cover"...

I have found a platoon of russian infantry can provide good suppressive fire at 250-300 meters. It actually provides a use for the conscript units in Vilne Stare.

The first striking point for me in the demo was the massive firepower of the defending germans MG's. What I didn't realize was that I had the same massive firepower in my Russian infanty squads. Infantry LMG's now make it worthwhile to fire at the 250-300 meter range instead of the old 100 meters of CMBO. In Vilne Stare, any German unit that was actually identified was suppressed and broken in less than 60 seconds even at range.

There is a lot of ranged firepower in those infantry squads now.

chevy: "now here to present her own view point on the subject is rosanne rosannadana."

rosanne: "thank you chevy. now what's all this i hear about germans opressing russians with machine guns? wake up germans! the russians have been opressed since the beginning of time. and now under stalin they're even more opressed than ever. so you can shoot your machine guns all you want and it won't opress them any more than they already are. in fact, you can even fire your cannons, bomb them to kingdom come..."

chevy: "uh rosanne, that's supression."

rosanne: "what?"

chevy: "that's SUpression, not Opression."

rosanne: "supression? oh that's different. nevermind!"

Originally posted by zukkov:

chevy: "now here to present her own view point on the subject is rosanne rosannadana."

rosanne: "thank you chevy. now what's all this i hear about germans opressing russians with machine guns? wake up germans! the russians have been opressed since the beginning of time. and now under stalin they're even more opressed than ever. so you can shoot your machine guns all you want and it won't opress them any more than they already are. in fact, you can even fire your cannons, bomb them to kingdom come..."

Originally posted by zukkov:

Noticed your quote. My Grandfather was with the AEF, Rainbow Div. Said about the same to me when I ask about WW1. Saw a young dead german. He never ever said another thing about it. Must have been very bad. Our games show us how lethal this all must have been.

yah, i think alot of vets don't really talk about their experience much. especially with those of us that haven't been there. i don't blame them. i try to picture myself in the middle of all that carnage when i'm playing a game, and while it's cool to play and hear the screams of the wounded men, i know i wouldn't want to be there. games can never do justice to what they went through...

Sorry that this is off topic to the title.

An ex-girlfriend's grandfather was part of the island hopping in the South Pacific. He is a great old guy to talk to (very serene). I used to talk to him for hours when I could. Anyway...

He told me that he was assigned a BAR back then because he was a "carpet merchant". He had to explain the term to me, which was slang for a small, short person. He said that since he was small (about 5'4" or 5'5"), he was considered expendable and thus given the BAR since it attracted more incoming fire. Other than that, he just said that they saw things that you never forget.

Suppression fire took on a whole new face when CMBB arrived. It works now smile.gif And, you need it even more so now!

What works better than MG's at suppression fire is plane jane rifle squads. With the new ammo factors, these guys get 50+ ammo, and just get them up close and have an entire platoon suppress fire. Works great for me, and they move a lot faster than MG's! MG's are great for suppression, but I have a hard time getting them into position in time in ME's. Defence is a entirely different story smile.gif

In QB's, I will buy one SMG platoon for every rifle platoon with a HMG. The rifle platoon and HMG cover fire, while the SMGer's assault. Works great.

Chad