Baffled

While playing the Germans against the Polish in a quick battle, I just had a Panzer IVJ destroyed by small arms fire from an infantry squad at 73 meters. What's up with that?

I replayed the turn and watched the infantry squad walking towards some scattered pines, turn to the left to face the tank, raise their rifles and fire for one second, and return to their course as the panzer erupted in flames.

I checked the squad's weapons and they had eight rifles, one submachine gun and a light machine gun. I'm baffled at this one.

It is not necessarily the infantry squad that destroyed the tank. If there was another unseen enemy targeting the tank, it could hit and destroyed the tank, and you would be none the wiser. It may just be coincidence that the infantry squad was firing at the tank at the same time.

AFAIK, infantry squads cannot destroy fully armored tanks (as opposed to open-topped vehicles) with small arms fire, and 73m is too far for them to take out a tank with a grenade, Demo Charge, or Gammon Bomb, or even a Rifle Grenade (which Polish Squads don't have anyway), so I think the above is the most likely explanation.

Cheers,

YD

Yep, there's nothing worse in CM than merrily watching your turn go according to plan when suddenly, without warning... your stomach drops, your mouth opens, and your shoulders slump as you watch your precious AFV burst into flames from some unseen AT unit. :eek:

Strangely enough, that's one of the things makes the CM games so much darn fun. ;)