Being a tactical wargame the best *unit* in CM is the infantry(any)/armor(any)/support(any)/artillery(any) *unit*. You will never go wrong with this *unit* as it has proven itself time and time again.

Ron

Me262,

as Panzerman said it's a hard question. Here are some of my favorites ..... though this will vary from player to player. As an example from above, the Firefly has never been good for me.It can also change from game to game as certain units start to perform badly ;)

Churchill VII

Sexton

PzIV H

StugIIIG

Hetzer

Daimler AC

4.2" Mortars

120mm Mortars

Experimenting is the fun and challenging part of the game. A serch can yield a lot of info ..... almost too much.

http://www.combat-missions.net/armour.htm is a great source of info for armour. His site also has many wonderful mods as well.

Best of luck,

Too broad a question for "best" unit in the game. Whenever a situation runs up, it's a matter of using the best "tools" to get the job done.

However, here are my favorites:

Panthers-all around med. tank to deal with ANY tank that the Allies can field.

Tiger I-Though the Panthers are better, I have extremely good luck with the Tiger I. The thick armor all around enables me to survive many determined, short ranged infantry AT attempts.

Waffen-SS Pz.Grenadiers/Fallschirmjager infantry-If good ALL-AROUND firepower is your thing (not the cheap little SMG stuff) these guys are it. MP-44s/LMGs add lots to their firepower.

50mm ATG-With a high ROF and price, this often overlooked/underestimated ATG can deal with any light AFV out there very effectively. The Stuarts favored by so many Allied players are blown like leaves by the wind by these things. The 75mm/88mm are overkill for those light AFVs, but the 50mm deals with them quickly, cheaply, and efficiently(penetrations all the time). For the price of 1 Stuart an Allied player spends, I can buy 2 50mm ATGs. Cover the flanks of your Tigers, boys!

Flammpanzer '38t-Remote flexible MG and lots of fire. Enough said.

Allies (I don't try them as much, but here are my favorites from the times I have)

Firefly- Excellent gun to deal with many panzers.

Shermans (75mm)-If you're only dealing against infantry, hard to beat the price and effectiveness of the 75.

M36 Jackson-I know, the Hellcats are quite popular, but due to my tendencies for the German side, I prefer BIG GUNS.

U.S. Artillery-While some Allied players have panzer envy, I myself have arty envy. The VT fuses are a great touch

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Warmaker ]

I had a blast with a Crocodile/Churchill combination punch with two platoons of inf. The Croc. could do nothing except play ring around the rosie with a Hetzer at short range, but you should have seen him light up the wheatfields. The Churchill's survivability factor and havy arsenal make it a formidible opponent. I never really understood the concept of an infantry support vehicle (even after East/West Front) until using the Churchill in this game.