How exactly does PBEM work?

'xcuse me if it has been covered ad absurdum, but I want to know how, from a technical POV, playing per email works.

When you do a turn, will the programm create the email? Or do you have to manualy send a save-game file?

also, when you recive a turn from your opponent, how is it imported into the game?

I currently have no one to try that out, but I'd be interested.

thanks for all answers

RS

The program will generate a file and you can choose where to save it. Then all you have to do is email the file to your opponent.

To open a PBEM file, save the file to your harddrive and start CMBB. Simply click the "Join Multiplayer" button in the main menu and then "Load E-Mail". Then just choose the file you want to open and click OK.

KnivBjorn, thanks. That means that you have to switch between CM and your email programm while playing...I was kinda guessing that the game could read the emails directly.

Cubes, I'd appreciate that, but it will be a bit late before I'm home today (3 more hours work, and two hours watching the new Bond Movie.)

I've send you an email from work with my home-email adress. Maybe you can get things started in the meantime, and I hope I can send you my turn back this evening.

PBEM appeals to me not least because it is obvisiously easier to organize and less time consuming than other multiplayer games over TCP/IP.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

PBEM appeals to me not least because it is obvisiously easier to organize and less time consuming than other multiplayer games over TCP/IP.

And you can play more than one game simultaneously as well. Same reason people have been playing Chess by mail for 1000 years.