CMBB Won't Load

I just reinstalled Windows (XP Home) and I can't get CMBB to load.

I've read the trouble shooting guide and did a search of the forums, but nothing suggested has worked.

I shut down my virus program and tried a manual install, and thinking that maybe the hard drive was reading the entire disk before installing it, I waited for 20 minutes, but the disk spins up... and keeps spinning.

I checked the task manger and it said the program was not responding (How I hates that!)

I've never had this issue before with the disk. Any other time, even after I installed a new hard drive, it loaded right up, first try.

I had this problem when I installed cmbb on a new system a few months back. Don't know if it was the anti-virus, or the new system, or a combination, but I was just starting to panic when it finally worked.

My problems with the cm games were nothing to what happened with Total War. I'm not sure how I did it, but eventually I got my computer acclimatized to the software I was trying to install. And I think it took something like half an hour to get it to load.

I suspect that it had something to do with one of the Windows updates from last fall. I don't really know, but everything is working -- and the initial installations were real hair raisers.

Have you tried doing it manually? Some of those self-extractors can really go crazy with the new updates.

Try this: Shut down all your anti-virus software. Pop the disk in the cd drive. Watch it spin for a while. When you're sure it's stopped, click on start, then run program, then browse to setup (or whatever the appropriate program is). Run it, and then go into the next room and read a book.

Originally posted by Philippe:

Have you tried doing it manually? Some of those self-extractors can really go crazy with the new updates.

Try this: Shut down all your anti-virus software. Pop the disk in the cd drive. Watch it spin for a while. When you're sure it's stopped, click on start, then run program, then browse to setup (or whatever the appropriate program is). Run it, and then go into the next room and read a book.

... make yourself a sandwich, watch the seasons change and then defoliate your victory garden.

No, I haven't tried it quite that way yet. I'll give it a shot this evening.

Thanks for the suggestion.