AussieJeff Lighter Grass Mod

I've done my own full grass mod using a sliding scale brightness/contrast adjustment in Adobe Photoshop 7.0 to give a greater differentiation of height within the game as well as an overall lighter/brighter "look".

14248266.jpg

The attached piccy was taken at the game's middle gamma setting (midday - daylight) to give you some idea of the look of it. If anyone is interested in hosting this, please give me an e-mail.

Cheers,

AJ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I like the elevation differentials in this. Did ya test it in all types of lighting like KwazyDog keeps saying? I'd like to try this one out, see how it looks on me monitor.

Yeah Bruno. It looks pretty darn cool in dawn/dusk/night lighting too. Sorta gives a luminescent moonlit look for higher hilltops at night! All the shading fits well.

I find it much, much easier to pick the highs and lows now at a glance. I can put up a few more screenies if you are interested. I wonder if Tom would host these?

Cheers,

AJ

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Hi res or Low res ? That is the Question.

Toad in the grass..

Hi-res at this stage Louie I might be tempted to try a Lo-res version if there is enough interest. Here's a screenie of night landscape with the mod ....

14250256.jpg

;)

Bloody 56k modem is no fun when doing these mods...

AJ

Here's a dusk piccy with the hills set to large to show what happens with big elevation changes.

14250526.jpg

The terrain gradations do become a bit more noticeable at the more extreme hill settings, though overall I don't find the effect all that displeasing. Still very easy to resolve elevations. Most QB's / scenarios would probably fall within the small to modest hill range anyway.

AJ

I can host it for you Jeff if you can get it to me somehow. I'd setup an FTP here at home if I could get around all these damn firewalls....

I'd be interested to know what adjustments you did via Photoshop to achieve your look. I think I tried to get too fancy in my earlier versions of the grass mod, and my last version was just plain too simple but I like the look. Go figure.

Both mods are very nice. I'm wondering, if like with CMBO, if winter/summer versions would be interesting. One of these tailored to winter, one to summer. Just from the screen shots can't really tell till it is on me monitor, GJK's looks slightly more greenish than this one.

What do ya think guys. You's din like my lil suggestion... :(

What about that, you know, like GJK work on a summer version, and Aussie work on the winter version since the shades of the two are seemingly closer to those seasons. One is green tinted, the other more brown it looks like. smile.gif

What do ya think guys. You's din like my lil suggestion... :(

What about that, you know, like GJK work on a summer version, and Aussie work on the winter version since the shades of the two are seemingly closer to those seasons. One is green tinted, the other more brown it looks like. smile.gif

Sorry Bruno I had to go to sleep. ;)

I don't know why I can't stay awake 24/7. Must be somefink wrong with me? :D

You must be a mind reader. I was dreaming about the winter set too! hehe. I could have a go at it I guess.

AJ

Originally posted by GJK:

I can host it for you Jeff if you can get it to me somehow. I'd setup an FTP here at home if I could get around all these damn firewalls....

I'd be interested to know what adjustments you did via Photoshop to achieve your look. I think I tried to get too fancy in my earlier versions of the grass mod, and my last version was just plain too simple but I like the look. Go figure.

Hi GJK!

Well, I guess I have 2 choices here. I can .rar the files (probably 3 to each packet to stay under the 2mb e-mail limit) and send them via e-mail bit by slooow bit. GAAH!

Or I can give you my recipe and let you convert another set from the master tiles. Hey, I like the sound of that one!! Waddya think?

(PS: Now that I know the best settings for this, it would take you only about an hour solid at the most I guess if you are familiar with Photoshop. Uploading to you piecemeal would take about 2-3 hours by 56k slowmodem.)

AJ

Originally posted by AussieJeff:

Blast! Gary, you're e-mail is bouncing me....... any alternative? :confused:

AJ

Hmm, wonder if yours was one of the ones I was getting Klez from? I'll email you my other email addresses.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AussieJeff:

Blast! Gary, you're e-mail is bouncing me....... any alternative? :confused:

AJ

Hmm, wonder if yours was one of the ones I was getting Klez from? I'll email you my other email addresses.</font>

Is it up yet? Gimme gimme gimme. I want, I want, gotta have gotta have. My mod addiction is kicking in, I'm jonesing man. :D

I've got the "Secret Formula's" for both the winter and summer versions. I'll be running them through Photoshop shortly and will post the results and a notice!

:D

Both the Winter and Summer versions are available on my site now, look for Aussie_Jeff_...

He'll be making the formal announcement sometime later I'm sure :D

<BIG>Wh00t! They are up and downloadable!</BIG>

Excellent job, Gary! I hope the SECRET RECIPE instructions weren't too confusing ;) . I'd be very interested in feedback here from anyone using these mods, since acceptance is always subject to a person's individual 'taste', colour perception, viewing levels, monitor type etc..etc..

So, barring the necessarily long download time for you 56ker's, I hope you enjoy them.

Happy foraging {and don't forget to bookmark Gary's downloads site}!

AussieJeff

:D

[ October 06, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: AussieJeff ]