16-bit to 32-bit

Does battlefront plan on making a patch for combat mission that allows it to be played at 32-bit. All the new video cards (mine being 9700 pro) don't support hardware acceleration for 16-bit games (no AA!!!) and I was wondering if there was a way to put a patch or fix on this so I can play COMBAT MISSION @ 32-bit.

Thanks

Ryan

Originally posted by easytarget:

seems like i read somewhere here that an engine update resulting in improved graphics is slated for the next version of CM

is that right?

Yes it is. Once they are done patching CMBB their next project is to redo the game engine. Most estimates floating around are at least 2 years for that to be done. The next game planned was a north african game IIRC.

Yeah, an engine rewrite is required for 32-bit color graphics to be supported. Currently CMBO & CMBB are 16-bit color (though the bitmaps are often 24/32-bit color). 32-bit color will slow down CM, but it will make for some better graphics.

The next game will be published using the new engine which will support 32-bit color (which is the current plan as far as I understand it). It will take a little more than two years from now for it to be released (though that could change too). Other graphical effects (transform and lighting) may also get supported, but there's no concrete details available yet on what's planned, especially considering that CMBB is still in the 'patching' phase for several more months at least.

erm.. i have the feeling i'm gonne be slagged off and eventually sent to coventry for saying this, but - will the next version of CM have a more user friendly interface? the one at the mo for CMBO and CMBB is very clunky and awkward. i can't see how it could be a major problem to have the mousewheel [surely most users now have mousewheels as standard?] used as the height adjuster? and 'hold&right click' for viewing left/right? the interface now is so slow and although using ctrl/ left click to go to a destination is useful, often you need to fine tune your facing, which you need to do a lot of mouse clicking/moving to get the correct facing. it's very laborious way of getting around.

this is my ONLY gripe about CM.

purists will call me a philistine but the amount of time to make a move would be greatly reduced with a better interface.

ok ok, CM is more a tactical exercise than a 'game' but it would be better for everyone if we could move about the map more usefully.

[i think this is where someone tells me to go and play Close Combat or Sudden Strike]

thanks

das