Any Port After a Storm : the AI uses gamey tricks to win !

**************SPOILER******************

Any Port Operation SPOILER******SPOILER ALERT****

First the Kudos( not to be polite, but because I mean it ! ). I spent the last few days enjoying the 4 first battles of this operation .Just Great ! I still consider myself as a newbie in wargaming ( I mean REAL wargaming ! ) and these battle gave me the opportunity to learn a lot ! As an other gamer said about Any Port :...an excellent training ground .Now ,a little problem...

I played as US defender and ended the 4th battle with a very frustrating draw :

Allied defender : score 51. Casualties 19 ( 4 KIA) , 1 mortar destroyed . Morale 89% .Men OK :156

Axis attacker : score 49 . Casualties 110 ( 30 KIA ) , 2 captured . Morale 29% .Men OK : 60

At the beginning of the battle I sent the 2 Jeeps to do some recon : one Southeast and the other Southwest .German Infantry was spotted Southwest and latter some vehicles were spotted(sound contact ) moving somewhere in the valley Southeast .I prepared my defenses : 3 bazookas hiding near the edge of the cliff and spotting the little narrow valley from were the German vehicles were heard and almost all the rest of the troops positioned West .

At the end of turn 35 the situation was so : in the West sector the bodies of dead attackers were lying on the ground .What remained from the German survivors withdrew in the trees Southwest and were pushed back each time they tried to come out and attack again .

In the East sector almost NOTHING happened !! My Bazookas waited for the vehicles to come . On a few occasions some Halftracks did appear an disappear , one of them stood on the crest . I gave a fire order to one of the bazookas :he missed and the Halftrack fired a few shots and disappeared.That's all ! Were not the German vehicles supposed to attack and try to go Northward ? As far as I understand I was not supposed to run after the German vehicles and destroy them but to defend and prevent them from driving Northward ! So , if most of the attackers were killed or pushed back and no vehicles passed , is it not mission accomplished ? In fact the real question is , why did not the AI ( German vehicles ) attack me ?

Did it happened to anyone playing defense in this battle ?

Was I supposed to tease the vehicle or to try to ambush them instead of waiting for them to appear , to get a victory ?

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-13-2001).]

Crockett,

I think that a draw is about the best you can expect from this scenario is you play it anywhere near realistically. I deployed two of my platoons across the field, mostly as half squads with the third intact platoon as a reserve. The Germans attatcked first on the left but were stopped by the platoon there. The major German push came on the right and it took both my other platoon and reserve platoon to stop it. I do not believe any of their troops got thru my lines though I got shot up a bit stopping them. I also took out 2 or 3 of their tracks. I received a draw just like you did. I accepted that warmly as that battle came the closest I've seen to re-creating what I've read about night actions.

Sometimes the arbitray rules the game lays down for victory conditions do not reflect the situtaion portrayed. You accomplished your mission. YOU know that. You don't need some 2 bit (err 32bit) computer to afirm that.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kverdon (edited 02-13-2001).]

Hi,kverdon

I think you are right when you say that a draw is the best result that you can expect from this scenario.I know that "my" pixels did "accomplish" the mission.The final pixels that represent the statistics show it clearly .

The problem is not getting any affirmation from other pixels but as I asked :why did not the German vehicles on the left side of the map (the AI representing the German vehicles)attacked or not try to pass Northward?

Again ,what is not clear to me is not the results but the AI conduct.

Now,not seriously at all ,there is an other possibility:the AI was too much "clever" or had "Intelligence reports" good enough not to run right into the dirty ambush my Bazookas prepared them ! biggrin.gif

In fact I was really expecting a good fight there. frown.gif

Crockett

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-14-2001).]

I tend to give the AI a bit of a boost in manpower and experience to make them behave more aggressively (+1 experience/ +25% forces) and to compensate for the forces that will not be used effectively by the AI.

The thing is - can you be 100% sure that no-one got by you? If I remember correctly, there is quite a bit of forest along the exit map-side and it might be possible that the computer snuck a few units through a blind spot unless you spread your forces extrememly thin. It wouldn't have to get too much through in order to get the draw.

p.