No wirless connection with 'Limited' profile?

Apologies for posting this here as this isn't CM related at all but I don't 'do' PCs and their forums etc so wouldn't have a clue where to start. I've just replaced mine and daughters PC. Hers needed it, mine wanted it (mainly for CMX 2 etc) :)

I have a Netgear DG834PN wirless modem/router connected by ethernet cable to my PC. No problems there. We also have a Sitecom Wl117 wireless adapter in my daughters PC. All works fine aprt form one minor problem. I set

the USB adapter up on my daughter's PC using an Admin account that I retain for me (basically I don't want major settings made and/or junk installed that I don't know about) or potential accessing of router settings etc.

Now, when I boot her PC under my (Admin) profile it fires up the wireless and its associated software and connects fine automatically. If I then switch user to my daughters profile it also works fine (e.g. it seems to connect under my profile and then hold that connection during user switching). However when I boot from 'off' under daughters (limited) profile I get the Sitecom software up but no network is displayed and I cannot connect? I tried then changing my daughters account to an 'Admin' one and the network showed up. I went through the various

settings (DHCP enable etc) and bingo it connected. However when I changed her account back to a Limited one, when I boot under her profile it won't connect again?

Is this something to do with network or IE settings etc. Surely not everyone using a PC with wireless adapter in it needs to be an Administrator? Is there somewhere I have to click to 'allow all users of this PC to use my wireless connection'?

Any help much appreciated.

This USB wireless networking device has terrible online support. Interestingly the only software available for it is built-into the USB device itself (with no updates for it online as of yet). And no documentation is made available online for it either.

The only thing I can suggest is to make your daughter an 'Admin', remove the device driver, reboot (logging in as your 'daughter' with her 'Admin' account), reinsert the device (which should install the software driver) and make sure it can connect to the network/internet while she is configured as 'Admin', reboot once more (while she is still 'Admin'). One question, are you configuring the adapter via some Sitecom software or the Windows Wireless control panel management ? Anyway, once she can connect as 'Admin', change her account back to the 'Limited User' and reboot. Hopefully she can still access the network at this point.

I'm fairly unknowledeable about user management and privledges, but I'm also not aware of any device-level locking of hardware by account/privledge (within Windows XP). However it is possible that software installed with one user's account may not be fully accessible on another account (when its privledges aren't the same level). Hopefully by installing the device driver/software as your daugher with an admin account it may make it easier to switch her over to a limited user and still access the software.

If this doesn't work, then remove the device driver (in whichever Admin account) and then reboot with your daughter having the intended 'Limited User' account and see if the software/device driver will install then (it most likely won't install with that privledge level).

Interestingly I did a Google search for the Sitecom WL117 and came across this post in another forum, which I assume is from you (and it was among the first links offered by Google):

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=40845

Thanks very much for reply. I gave up and made daughter an 'Admin' and have created a System Restore point. The adapter does use its own software and in fact I'm fairly certain you can't even 'allow' Windows to manage the connection in this case.

I may try what you suggested at the weekend, or in another life. I've spent to much time piddling round with this that I've had enough of Pcs for now :) Part of me actually hopes the Sitecom adapter will suffer a premature death at which point I'll buy one that's less problematic. I actually bought it following a review in the UK PC PRO magazine saying it was excellent. Shan't bother with THEIR reviews any more :-(

The other post is indeed from me. This was a week or so before when I lost a whole day trying to get the first one they supplied to work. Turns out it was US and they sent a now one which did work.

Interestingly I also installed an MP3 manager for her, again under my profile. When she logged on with a 'Limited' acount, again, no joy, won't let her use it?? Perhaps it's a Windows Media Centre thing??

[ June 14, 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]