Fear in the Fog

Just finished "Fear in the Fog" for the first time, with a total allied victory of 89 to 11. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I looked at the map and noticed that the northern victory flag had been captured and was heavily defended by fresh German units -- including a flamethrower!

When the game ended I was on my way to recapture the location with a Sherman and a couple of shot-up squads. One more turn and they all would have been toast, since I had no idea that sort of opposition remained. In short, the victory was quite a bit less than total, lopsided score notwithstanding.

Anyway, I love that scenario. Think I'll try it as the Germans next time...

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

Thank you Monte. It's one of my personal favorites, another one I've played more than once.

It is fun as the Germans, trying to make that exit side and getting to Bastogne.

Here again, the more important objective for the Germans (as the Brits in Bruneval) is not getting the flags but exiting.

You can evaluate your own success based on how many units you can get off the map, thus having a larger striking force to get into Bastogne.

Good hunting!

Wild Bill

I just finished playing it as the Germans, with the goal of getting as many units as possible into Bastogne. Instead of engaging the Americans (except for a couple of skirmishes early on), I just slipped to the north and out the western edge.

Boring, of course, but I wanted to see what the score would be. To up the ante, I also decided to hold on to the northern VL witha a few SMG squads and a flamethrower until the scenario ended.

The result: minor axis victory. Damn. I guess I was hoping for a little more gratitude from Der Fuhrer.

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

I heard that! biggrin.gif

Wild Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "never mind" remark wasn't an editorial comment about the scenario: it's still one of the best ones out there. I think I was posting some inane question and then thought better of it...

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

I played this for the first time last night after reading this thread, and it was great!

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played it yet, but I offer this advice: play as the Americans first time out. You'll have a blast. Or get blasted. wink.gif

BloodFan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

Monte99,

fog of war/+3?

Just asking!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean full FOW, yes. No other way to play it, in my view. Especially this scenario. Try it as the Germans... tough to keep that Panther alive in such close quarters and low visibility...

------------------

-Bertrand Russell

Oh THAT. smile.gif Now that you mention it, I didn't notice before how many German squads in that scenario were green. Might be fun (and a little suicidal) to go up against a totally elite force, but I've not tried it yet. You?

------------------

-Bertrand Russell

I was playing this TCP/IP, ended up with my Sherman on one side of a house, the Pather on the opposite of the same house! I hastilly plot a quick reverse out of there, when we lose our connection. We reconnect, but i mishandle the instructions and lose my plotted moves for the Sherman. I sit screaming, 'No, not fair', only to watch the Panther move out and rotate right to where I'd been hoping to go, and then drive right past my motionless Sherman. The Sherman, on its' own, pulls out behind him, follows him down the road about 30 feet and BAM! One of my favorite scenes! (Not a single troop or piece of equipment exited the map!) Great scenario.

Guest WildBill

Prum will do that to you Alex wink.gif

Hey RLH! Don't you love those "Kodak" moments in war! You could relive them a dozen times. Thank God for playback in this game!

Wild Bill