Kohima Ridge v.2 Ready

OK, I have now tweaked Kohima Ridge as follows:

1. Brit FOs: now have Crack experience

2. Eliminated victory flags in Gerpanese-occupied areas.

3. Changed Jail Hill's flag from large to small.

4. Eliminated all Gerpanese tanks. Much to my embarassment, I have discovered that I erred in including them at all. Got confused due to the book shifting scenes to the Imphal area without me noticing it at first.

If interested in trying this version, send me an email at jtweller@earthlink.net

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 01-04-2001).]

Aaahh, the tanks aren't there anymore. That would explain why I haven't seen them. That makes the dozen piats I layed out in ambush pretty useless.

I've started playing v2.0. The AI has massacred me in the Tennis Courts, despite me defending them with a full company. The AI made no moves I could see for the first 8 or so turns, and it looks like it took that time to transfer the better part of a battalion from the Jail Hill side to help against the tenis courts. I'm calling in heavy arty (as in basically all of it, except 1 spotter) as the Gerpaneses advance up the hill. My line at the top of the hill will hold for a little while as so far they've been able to concentrated fire on 1 or 2 enemy units at a time, but they will most likely be overrun.

On the other side I've evacuated Jail Hill and retreated to a line I set up at the beginning by using split squads to get some extra foxholes. I gave the AI a brief taste of 25pdr fire efore I fell back, and it looked to have some effect.

It's looking like the sceneraio mugh have a new problem, with the AI now putting a disproportional amount of force against the 2 big flags on Garrison Hill. This may be fixable by tinkering with where the initial setup zones are. I'll let you know after I finish getting destroyed.

curih

Alex said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Aaahh, the tanks aren't there anymore. That would explain why I haven't seen them. That makes the dozen piats I layed out in ambush pretty useless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you'll appreciate the PIATs in the next phase when you'll need them for bunker busting wink.gif. But for now, they do add a small amount of firepower to your defensive lines.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The AI has massacred me in the Tennis Courts, despite me defending them with a full company. The AI made no moves I could see for the first 8 or so turns, and it looks like it took that time to transfer the better part of a battalion from the Jail Hill side to help against the tenis courts. I'm calling in heavy arty (as in basically all of it, except 1 spotter) as the Gerpaneses advance up the hill. My line at the top of the hill will hold for a little while as so far they've been able to concentrated fire on 1 or 2 enemy units at a time, but they will most likely be overrun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. Let us know how this turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's looking like the sceneraio mugh have a new problem, with the AI now putting a disproportional amount of force against the 2 big flags on Garrison Hill. This may be fixable by tinkering with where the initial setup zones are. I'll let you know after I finish getting destroyed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Objectives seem to be the biggest cause of AI behavior so you're probably right. Let's see, small flags are 100 points and big flags are 300. There are now 2 big flags (Garrison and the Bungalow) and 4 small (Jail, DIS, FSD, and Kuki). This makes the 2 big ones close together worth more than all the others combined. So yeah, I can see that causing massive shifting of forces to the north flank.

So let's consider. If we change the Bungalow to a small flag, that would only put 400 points on the north end, and that would equal all the others. And if you took all the small flags, leaving Garrison in Brit possession, you'd have 500 points to 300 for the Brits. The AI might then adopt this strategy, which would be in line with historical results. What do you think?

------------------

-Bullethead

Making the Bungalow a small flag might work. I was also thinking that if the middle Gerpanese setup zone were moved further away from Garrisson Hill it might make the AI think twice about going all the way around, thought I'm not sure if that would be enough in light of what the AI did to me the first game played where it concentrated all 3 battalions at one end.

I recall you're mentioning that part of the reason that the Japanese never got the hill was that the attacks were unco-ordinated allowing the Brits to just defend one sector at a time. Perhaps if the Gerpanese battalion entered one company at a time at 5 or 10 turn intervals. Or even start with 2 each and have the third enter late.

curih

Alex said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Making the Bungalow a small flag might work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll do that for sure in the next version.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was also thinking that if the middle Gerpanese setup zone were moved further away from Garrisson Hill it might make the AI think twice about going all the way around....I recall you're mentioning that part of the reason that the Japanese never got the hill was that the attacks were unco-ordinated allowing the Brits to just defend one sector at a time. Perhaps if the Gerpanese battalion entered one company at a time at 5 or 10 turn intervals. Or even start with 2 each and have the third enter late.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree, this should probably be changed as well. I'll be considering how best to do it.

Thanks for the report.

------------------

-Bullethead