Memory Upgrade Definitely Worthwhile

I remember reading here someone mentionning that they bumped up their RAM without seeing much of a difference in CM.

I have a soft-spot for playing super-large operations by e-mail and those huge movie files were just not running very cleanly on my machine - the movies would sometimes jump in 10 second increments at a time. I determined that it was the sound effects that were the main bottleneck. I came close to upgrading the PC, but decided to try a simple memory upgrade from 32M to 128M first to see what would happen.

Wow! Totally different game. It can handle the hugest movie file without a hiccup now and I even managed to turn on some of the window-dressing type options that I had turned off before.

If anyone else is wondering about a similar upgrade for themselves - it works!

p.

Trying to play CM with only 32MB of memory? What were you thinking? I've been playing CM on 128MB since the beginning and it still wasn't enough.

I recently upgraded, (see thread on this page "Upgrading VERY shortly...") and I went to a 1.2 GHz w/256MB along with a 64MB Geforce 2 GTS Platinum Ed.

With all the hi-res mods I was installing, my poor old Celeron 433 wasn't cutting the juice anymore.

You'd be surprised. CM works 90% fine even on a machine with 32M. I don't think anyone with a lower end system should hold back from buying the game - its not that resource greedy.

I remember back when 32M was a huge amount of memory <sigh>,

p.

Or when 256k ram was more than enough (and 64k floppies), and then the jump to 1MB and a 20Mb harddrive wahhoo I'll never fill that up! Then those killer graphics machines with 4-6Mb of RAM, thousands just in the Ram sometimes more than the computer itself.... :D

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: kmead ]