ASL / CM convesions

Guest lameduck

Guest lameduck

a couple of weeks ago the rather fabby "ASL Maps for Combat Mission" site was closed down

did anybody DL the scenarios from that site?

if so could you emial me them - cos i like playing ASL conversions

Lameduck : Check you email inbox. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

The "ASL2CM" pack of "escenarios" on the Spanish page is a dead-link. :-( I've got a pretty good idea why the ASL2CM site was shut down. Could anyone mail me the pack of ASL scenarios? e-mail is agua@bellsouth.net Michael Dorosch, I've got the ones from your site, I've only gotten to fool with Njmegen Bridge so far, but WOW, Thanks a lot!!!

Agua

Actually I think I solved my problem.

The Spanish site seems to have a problem with my Netscape.

I used IE, disabled my Netscape Smartdownload and it looks to have downloaded the ASL2CM file.

Guest lameduck

Originally posted by Agua:

The "ASL2CM" pack of "escenarios" on the Spanish page is a dead-link. :-( I've got a pretty good idea why the ASL2CM site was shut down. Could anyone mail me the pack of ASL scenarios? e-mail is agua@bellsouth.net Michael Dorosch, I've got the ones from your site, I've only gotten to fool with Njmegen Bridge so far, but WOW, Thanks a lot!!!

Agua

Dirt & Alla,

Thanks ever so much!!! I tried to send each of you an e-mail last night thanking you but I kept getting a response stating that there was some problem with my ISP, so I don't know if you received the e-mail or not. But in any event, I figured I'd just missed getting into CM by about 3 or 4 weeks as it appears that this was the time that the ASL scenarios were pulled from the various sites. I figured I was just "SOL", but thanks for sending them on to me. I'll return the favor to the CM community by helping other fans. This is a great game and support community.

PS ... I see that Netscape has a problem with the file link on the spanish site. Just a general comment to all out here who are considering downloading Netscape 6.0 - - Don't. At least not yet, as there still quite a few bugs in it.

Originally posted by Der Kriegsherr:

What do you folks think about these ASL conversion scenarios? Do they play well? Are they complete scenarios, or do they still need work?

Some of them have been converted without any kind of testing; they are a mixed bag. Some are quite good.

I've just finished testing Medal of Honor located at my site (originally one of the GI Anvil of Victory scenarios) and it played quite well. Like my conversion of Climax at Nijmegen Bridge, final victory really wasn't assured for either side until the last couple of turns.

------------------

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission

I'm certainly not the expert here (my own experience ended largely at GI Anvil of Doom and COI) but, having now played a fair number of the ASL-2-CM games against my regular opponent via TCP/IP, a couple of observations:

1. Most of the ASL scenarios are VERY little. An armor piece or 2 per side is not uncommon...perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised, bein' it's titled SQUAD leader and all, but, still...

2. In part because of #1, many scenarios (notably the Market Garden pack) come off as "tactical problems" rather than full-on scenarios. In a couple instances (opaque prose here inserted to prevent spoilers) the fate of one or 2 units really turns the entire engagement. This can (and did) make a few lucky shell bounces extremely important...perhaps more important than typically warranted.

3. Compromises (necessitated by the broader reach of ASL in terms of equipment modelled) litter the accompanying text. Certain units you expect to find (if you played the originals) won't be there because, well, CM doesn't have them.

4. Still and all, they're quick plays and (with one exception) proved FAR more fun than frustrating. The services of Col. Klotz, et al. are missed...

Regards,

Jim

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand