Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

NKVD were are you ?

Originally posted by Hannibal:

I have been trying to do a quick battle with NKVD troops .I have not been able to find them in the game .Am I missing something ?

Yes, you are. There is a NKVD officer hidden in the game. :D

Look at the Partisan Coy/Bn HQ. That officer is wearing a NKVD visor cap and the NKVD collar patches are visible on his early war uniform.

[ September 27, 2002, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Originally posted by Fernando:

Yes, you are. There is a NKVD officer hidden in the game. :D

Look at the Partisan Coy/Bn HQ. That officer is wearing a NKVD visor cap and the NKVD collar patches are visible on his early war uniform.

Ahaaa, that answers my question about that NKVD officer screenshot which featured in one of gaming magazine's CMBB previews (someone scanned it and posted the page here).

Uh, perhaps I did miss stg but don't you confuse 2 things

* Political commissars (those who shot the "cowards") :eek:

* And "real" NKVD troops, who saw fighting in several occasions (Leningrad siege for example) ?

I did get that the Commissars were left out, but can't understand why the NKVD troops were ? :confused: We have gamey Sturmtigers and JSIII, Romanians and Partisans, but no NKVD ? Why ??

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

I did get that the Commissars were left out, but can't understand why the NKVD troops were ? :confused: We have gamey Sturmtigers and JSIII, Romanians and Partisans, but no NKVD ? Why ??

They're basically just regular inf with different collar tabs, and while NKVD troops (border guards) were involved in the initial fighting they were essentialy rear area personell so really outside the scope of CMBB.

Not that I am happy they're not in, having some regular NKVD troops among the raw conscripts and half-trained green troops in the early part of the war would've been a nice touch.

Not to mention some tedious, long-winded and ultimately one-sided sweeping operations to clear the rear areas of enemy stragglers, bandits, partisans and what-not :D

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Foxbat,

NKVD troops did have same org and TO&E than regulars ? In this case no problem ... :cool:

Perhaps we'll soon have a NKVD uniforms mod by Fernando ! smile.gif

AFAIK there was no NKVD TOE (this is where a real grog comes into show that there was some obscure TOE issued in 1934 that was still in effect as late as 1956 smile.gif ) and NKVD Divisions were raised as regular rifle divs.

Although probably subject to change depending on mission/theatre etc, I would speculate that they were generally light on organic artillery and other secondary assets but I have no OOB to confirm that.