(non-CM) home network question

I have 2 PCs and want to network them together. My main computer (which is working thanks to Bill H) runs XP Home, and the older machine runs Win98 2E.

I have an Asante LAN router sitting between the main system and my DSL modem; the backup PC isn't connected to anything. I don't much care whether the old system can share the 'net connection, I just want to be able to use the old computer for work stuff, word processing, etc, push files to the new PC for emailing, and keep the new system clean & pristine for gaming.

What settings in the old system do I need to change, and how do I determine what the new settings should be?

Thanks

DjB

Doug, I have a similar set-up to you with XP Home on my main PC networked to an older Windows 98 client PC (not even up to the level of 98SE). The Windows 98 PC also has shared web/email access though the adsl modem connection.

I followed instructions on this site http://www.homenethelp.com/ under the headings "Networking Computers" and "Internet Connection Sharing" using Microsoft ICS - though you say you do not need the Internet Connection Sharing set-up.

If you have any problems following ionstructions on that site - there are several different approaches you can use for the set-up depending upon what you need - send me a private email.

Rob

You may be right there Phil. Certainly the networking and security features of XP Home are not up to the standard of XP Pro, but I can assure you "simple" networking does work even between XP Home and standard Win98, both for internet connection sharing and file sharing. I have had my simple 2 pc network operational for more than a year now. It just uses a NIC in each PC connected by a Cat5 crossover cable with the adsl usb modem directly connected to the Win XP PC.

Rob

[ May 07, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Robert Hall ]