Grenade Supply?

Did a search, but could not find the answer anywhere obvious. Anyone know how long a squad's supply of grenades lasts?. The Manual only states that the quantity is not tracked in the game.Will they keep throwing grenades at each other after the small arms ammo is used up, ad infinitum, or does the grenade supply also get used up? I guess I could set up a test to find out, but just wondered if anyone knew!

Just confirmation of all of the above. There is a thread around here somewhere on this subject. I did a couple of quick searches, but couldn't find it.

As I recall, the justification behind not limiting the number of grenades in CMBO was that a 10-man squad, for example, would have about 2 grenades per soldier - giving it a total of 20 grenades, and the likelihood of the squad actually having the opportunity to throw that many grenades over the course of a CM battle is pretty slim. In my experience, it is rare for a squad to get the opportunity to throw more than 5 or 6 in a battle - close combat chews up squads pretty quickly. I guess BTS just felt like there was other places they should be spending their programming time. . .

Obviously, this model is not perfect. There are certainly situations that could come up where a squad, especially the smaller german 8-man squads, or a depeleted squad already down a few men, could run out of grenades. I'd also be curious to see concrete evidence on how many grenades squads from different armies actually carried into combat - for example, did a late-war 8-man panzergrenadier squad, among the squad carrying two Pz 100s AND all that ammo for the MG42 also manage to carry 2 grenades per person??

I suspect the actual number of grenades carried into combat would be very hard to quantify, though. I don't think reading any standard equipment list is going to tell you much the whole story. In the real McCoy, like ammunition and secondary firearms, soldiers from all sides probably carried as much as they could scrounge, beg, borrow, or steal. I've read a lot of anecdotal evidence that weapons from the 'other side' were highly sought after for more than just souveniers - German Potato Masher grenades were better for close range usage (smaller shrapnel pattern), but american grenades' larger danger zone had a it's advantages, too, so each side coveted what the other had. . .

I, too noted the grenade-like icons on some of the preview shots from CMBB. I haven't read anything about grenades yet in the 'official' updates on CMBB here on this forum, though. I wonder if this also means we'll see different kinds of grenades?? I would be hard to imagine the East Front, especially the early years, without Molotov Cocktails, which are really just an improvised incendiary grenade. . .

Those might be standard frags... but remember that CMBO also shows grenade-like "special" weapons: the Gammon bomb.

Still, that box they're in is awfully *big* just for special weapons; it looks like it could track 18 of those grenade-like objects w/o scrolling, and for an 11-man squad 18 "specials" might be a bit much.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I envisaged the scanario of squads facing each other off, low on ammo, throwing grenades at each other indefinitely, but as some of you have suggested, in close combat squads will chew each other up probably quicker than the hypothetical supply of hand grenades. What bought the question on was a recent game I played where a squad upstairs in a building, low on ammo, chucked out a steady stream of grenades at an immobilised HT nearby.

I like the idea of Molotov Cocktails, it would add an extra dimension to urban fighting.