A pair of questions

I've noticed that when you have a platoon hiding and the enemy infantry draws near, the platoon HQ always opens up first. Why is that? Also, I've noticed that when a tank shoots at an enemy AFV and it ricochets, the shooters becomes cautious or shaken. Is this because they're afraid that the enemy is invincible or something?

Originally posted by Tigrii:

I've noticed that when you have a platoon hiding and the enemy infantry draws near, the platoon HQ always opens up first.

It's NOT always. Usually it's my LMG. However, you may be seeing a situation where the HQ, often a decently experienced soldier, has better spotting due to his experience level.

Also, I've noticed that when a tank shoots at an enemy AFV and it ricochets, the shooters becomes cautious or shaken. Is this because they're afraid that the enemy is invincible or something?
No, it means they now know that SOMEONE is shooting at them, and they don't know quite what. It could get worse for them. Remember that CAUTIOUS and SHAKEN are not abnormal states of mind for warfare. They're the norm. If someone is shooting at you, you are not calm as a kitten. And, in CMBB both Cautious and Shaken troops can be given orders without too much issue, so as long as it doesn't get demonstrably worse for them, you'll be alright.

No, it means they now know that SOMEONE is shooting at them, and they don't know quite what. It could get worse for them. Remember that CAUTIOUS and SHAKEN are not abnormal states of mind for warfare. They're the norm. If someone is shooting at you, you are not calm as a kitten. And, in CMBB both Cautious and Shaken troops can be given orders without too much issue, so as long as it doesn't get demonstrably worse for them, you'll be alright.
He was referring to the FIRER becoming shaken (I've seen it go all the way to Panic, myself, maybe even worse), not the target. I have noticed that this effect seems to be more pronounced the more shells are bounced off the target, so yes, I think it does model concern that the target may be invincible.

I've noticed that when you have a platoon hiding and the enemy infantry draws near, the platoon HQ always opens up first.
Always, huh?

Anyway, do you have the patch?

From the Readme:

* HQ units, when hiding, are slightly less likely to open fire on enemy units (i.e. "start" an ambush).

Originally posted by demoss:

I have noticed that this effect seems to be more pronounced the more shells are bounced off the target, so yes, I think it does model concern that the target may be invincible.

I think this feature is great, and very realistic.