How to tell units to hold their fire?

How can I tell my units to hold their fire?

I tried telling my hidden AT guns to target an ambush point that was far from any enemy units, but they chose to fire on the first thing they saw anyway.

How can I get them to absolutely keep their fingers off the triggers until I tell them to shoot, or they're being attacked?

Thanks.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Are you refering to the Gold Demo or the Gold Release with the v 1.01 patch?

In the gold demo you are mostly out of luck I think.

In the release version after the patch I think you can issue the "Hide" command but you should also give them ambush markers as well I think.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Toad:

How can I tell my units to hold their fire?

I tried telling my hidden AT guns to target an ambush point that was far from any enemy units, but they chose to fire on the first thing they saw anyway.

How can I get them to absolutely keep their fingers off the triggers until I tell them to shoot, or they're being attacked?

Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Are you refering to the Gold Demo or the Gold Release with the v 1.01 patch?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Tom_W. Yes - I am talking about the demo. Still waiting for the real thing to arrive.

There is the "Hide" command in the demo. I'll try that, in combination with setting ambush targets.

If anyone else also has some suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Guest Scott Clinton

Keep in mind it is VERY dependent on the quality of the unit also.

Even if you tell a Green unit to hold fire, they may very well fire at the first reasonable shot they get anyway.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Michael emrys

I think I read in the manual, or maybe someone posted the information, that in addition to putting an ambush marker and giving your unit a Hide command, you can target an enemy unit and then give a Hide command. Depending on the unit's level of experience, it will tend to hold fire until the enemy unit gets close. This is useful in case there is no hedquarters unit around to set an ambush marker.

I haven't tried this yet myself, so I can't say how well, if at all, this works. I just thought I would pass it along.

Michael

On page 50 of the manual it says that a unit on Hide orders will usually hold fire until the target is well within their lethal zone (usually 100 m or less) unless their chance to do damage against the enemy is slim in which case they may continue to hide. All this depends on having a decent place to hide, buildings, woods or rubble are best. Troop quality and leadership are another factor. Takes disipline to wait till the last moment and having a leader with Stealth abilities is a boon! With that leader and crack or elite you might shoot just before they step on you!

---Goofy