Winter StuIIIG posted

Please take this as constructive criticism. I'm not bashing your abilities. In fact, the rust effect is VERY good. It looks very real.

But here's the part I would change. How many rusted out StuG's could you find in WWII? It looks more like a StuG from 1963 instead of 1943.

Maybe tone down the rust, or ,dare I say it, have none at all and work on winterizing mods or something.

Like I said to start with, your work is good, I just don't know how well it looks in a battle in 1943.

COG

Nice work Joe.I'm glad that my tips helped you.Just some advice.

You can use another overlay layer with a dark brown and opacity 50-60, to sharpen the details and add depth to the textures.They look a bit flat IMHO.

Add shadows to the lower parts of the tank with

a gentle and smooth way(remember that snow reflects a lot of light towards the shaded

lower areas).

Study some tank photos in order to improve your lighting and shading.Hope this helps smile.gif

P.S if you want to post your pictures here, at

the preview picture of your mod at CM database,

click and copy the url from the properties of the jpeg or gif.Then paste it here as an image in your post.(see Instant UBB Code below the text window)

[ November 19, 2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: panzermartin ]

Yeah, great looking detail Canon, and the rust looks like real rust, but it's just too much. It's difficult to tell a talented modder something like that, especially when you're someone like me who couldn't mod a "GO" button, so please don't be discouraged at all because the detail is excellent.

This whole rust effect on a lot of mods, has just gotten way overdone. There are not a lot of color ww2 photographs around on the net, but I don't recall ever seeing a photo of a working vehicle with rust on it. If someone can find one, then please post a link. In fact, a couple months ago, someone posted a link on the General Forum to some photos of a T-34 (I think), that had just recently been recovered from the mud of a riverbank after having been buried there for, now, close to 60 years. After the mud had been washed off, I don't recall seeing rust visible in the photos of that vehicle. Now, I understand that the mud would protect the vehicle but still ...

What I'd like to see, and I would venture that I'm not alone, is for one of you artists to undertake detailed ultra-high resolution mods without rust, or maybe even without dirt. There were a lot of outstanding CMBO mods over the years. Some had a "weathered" texture, but very few purposely included dirt and dust. I recall none that included rust. Those were very attractive mods. I have seen only a couple of vehicle mods for CMBB that really improved the stock graphics (Pzmartin's winterized PzIII and 38(t) ... the third had too much rust or grime that looked like rust for my tastes). I find myself sitting around hoping this rust / heavy dirt trend will pass and the talented modders will focus on producing some super high resolution, detailed, mods.

In any event, your detail looks good and all this commentary really, and honestly, was not directed towards you specifically, but rather this thread provided the opportunity for me to comment upon thoughts that I've had with regard to the current CMBB mods that are available.