Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New G4 iBooks

Following my very crappy experience with PCs, I am contemplating buying a new iBook, most probably the 1Ghz 12" version.

Question - can this be run in OS9.2.2 full version, i.e. not just Classic mode? Or in other words - can I play CMBB on it?

I don't think so. The only new Macs that I know of for the last year or so that will boot in 9 are certain of the desktops. And they are kind of hard to lug around, if you know what I mean.

Your best be might be to look for a used iBook, or even better a Powerbook. I don't know what the last models of those were that would boot into 9, you'd have to look that up.

Michael

Andreas me old flower ;) I have a Feb. 2003 iBook. Its the 12" 800mHz G3 version with 32 MB of Video memory ( ATI Radeon AGP 7200 i think ) maxed out 640MB of RAM and a 40 gig HD. I have OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.3.2 on the same HD.

For OS9.2.2 fun i have CMBO . CMBB and CMAK installed. All run great ( extra ram helps ). Fog is present in the hi quality mode..not at all like my DP G4 and ATI 8500 card where i only have it only as fast and compatible.

It boots fast in both OS9.2.2 and OS10.3.2

As to your choices..best bet is a good second hand machine.To ponder what one see this link.

web page

Hope this helps bud smile.gif and remember..i am only a email away ;)

Best

Måkjager

[ May 08, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

Welcome back to the revolution comrade smile.gif

Assuming that one could get hold of OS9, surely one could install it onto a G4

In a G5, the system architecture is different, but G4s should still be able to run 9.2, even if they don't ship with it.

I would have thought, though my unfounded supositions have been wrong in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure about CMBO, but CMBB and CMAK won't run.

Thanks all for the advice. After long deliberations, and an attempt to get an iBook G3/700 online (thanks Paul), I managed to get hold of a very well-specced G4/800 for a decent price today, on Ebay. No CMBB on that machine but I am sure that whatever BFC brings out next, will run just fine on it.

The G3/800 and 900 machines with the decent VRAM are still far too expensive on Ebay, following the price drop for the new G4 iBooks.