More TCP/IP connection issues...

GJK

I'll search this forum after I post, but here's my issue:

Was able to play via TCP/IP with me hosting just fine until this weekend. Now my regular opponenet gets the "can't connect" message.

My setup:

Win2000 adv server w/service pack 2

Cable modem going through a MacSense router

No internet connection sharing (microsofts) going on.

BlackIce Defender Firewall as well.

I have not touched my network. Before I could play with BlackIce running (though I've opened it's port up on my router) but to be sure, I shut it down.

My internal IP for this machine is 192.168.1.101. Port 7023 is open on the router for that IP (and for 100-104 for that matter).

Service Pack 2 has been on this machine since it came out, that is not a recent install.

I use http://www.myip.dk/ to get my DHCP assigned IP address to give to my opponent. I've also verified the same address through my router software.

Any ideas on what else I could check or why this might suddenly start happening? Something that my ISP could of changed (RoadRunner)?

I've gotta get some combat in this weekend!

TIA,

GJK

Aaaarrrggghhhhh....this is frustrating....

Anybody, any ideas?

If I go to http://www.pcflank.com/ and do an "Advanced Port Scan" and enter port 7023 it comes back and says the port is closed. I assume it should come back as "Open".

As per my original post, I have the router configured to route port 7023 to this machines internal IP address. Is there another place that I should look to route that port as well?

Thanks,

GJK

Originally posted by GJK:

Aaaarrrggghhhhh....this is frustrating....

Anybody, any ideas?

If I go to http://www.pcflank.com/ and do an "Advanced Port Scan" and enter port 7023 it comes back and says the port is closed. I assume it should come back as "Open".

As per my original post, I have the router configured to route port 7023 to this machines internal IP address. Is there another place that I should look to route that port as well?

Thanks,

GJK

Hey, I have been trying to figure out what is going on here. I have my router configured to point TCP & UDP ports 7022 and 7023 to my computer. CM works both with and without zone alarm. I dont use black ice, so I cant say what issues apply with it. I would try and get things running without black ice up then add it once you can connect.

That scanner also comes back saying the port is closed, which actually makes sense. It is only open when you have CMBx running waiting to connect. The thing you dont want to see is "stealthed."

WWB

Ah, finally! smile.gif

Thanks WWB, I wasn't sure about the port showing as open or not on that site.

I used to be able to host with or without BlackIce running. To make sure it isn't the issue though, I've been trying it without it running to no luck.

I just don't know where else to look.

Here's my virtual servers setup:

virtualservers.jpg

I've played with all variations of that. The 5900 is for BlackIce. My private IP is 192.168.1.101

DMZ is disabled.

Is there somewhere in Windows that I need to check? This is Win2000 Adv Serv.

Thanks,

GJK

Have you tried just redirecting to your computer and only your computer.

Running your computer in the DMZ is another decent option.

I would also check and see if you can host hooked directly to the internet, without the router involved if that is not too much trouble.

WWB

Well, after a week of not being able to host games, I finally got this issue resolved and was able to once again host games. It saved this weekend!

Just for those that might find themselves with a similar situation, my resolve:

Unplugging, waiting and then replugging in the router did NOT work (rebooting the router).

However, rebooting the router AND unplugging my cable modem DID work. After repowering everything up, I noticed that everything was "zeroed" out in my virtual server listings (ports).

I then added just this machines internal ip to port 7023 and 5900 (blackIce) and it worked.

Now I'm wondering, could something (someone) have hacked my firewall to the point that they had exploited a port and were not allowing it to reset until I physically disconnected my internet connection? Going to the site I listed above that will do a port scan for you previously turned up some ports open that were not listed in my virtual servers list. I haven't run a port scan since getting this going again....

Thanks to all that offered suggestions!