Looking for German flag mod for aerial rec

Has anyone done a nicely wrinkled up German flag mod as seen on the back deck of German tanks that I can affix to all my armour? I like the orange aerial recognition panels on Marco and Gordon's Allied stuff a lot; makes it easier to pick out when viewing from high elevation (kinda the point of them...) A nice red German flag for my German stuff would be great...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Has anyone done a nicely wrinkled up German flag mod as seen on the back deck of German tanks that I can affix to all my armour? I like the orange aerial recognition panels on Marco and Gordon's Allied stuff a lot; makes it easier to pick out when viewing from high elevation (kinda the point of them...) A nice red German flag for my German stuff would be great...

I like the idea of aerial recognition flags for German armor, but it should only apply for earlier conflicts (as you will see in CMBB) when German air support was still common. By June, 1944 through the end of the war on the Western Front, the allies definitely had air supremacy (greater than superiority...) and the Luftwaffe for all practical purposes had been chased from the sky. The Luftwaffe- except on a few occasions- was unable to provide tactical air support and would not have fighter-bombers supporting armor. So, the end result was that there was no reason for German armor to need to be recognized from the sky- in fact it would have a negative affect upon their overall survivalibilty.

The use of flags, much like Zimmerit by late 1944, was thus discontinued.

Steven Zaloga even refers to the Germans starting to use Russian air recognition symbols at the end of the war (April, 1945) to confuse the allies. At that point in the war the allies were close enough that common air recognition symbols were necessary so that both sides could recognize the others' armor. The Germans copied some of the Russian recognition symbols to confuse allied pilots and protect their armor.

Originally posted by MikeT:

Mike, bfamily33 did one for his Marder mod. It is part of the Fading Hopes theater mod at Combat Mission World. I can send you a separae copy if interested.

MikeT

It's been far too long since I've taken a long hard look at your offerings at Combat Mission World - searching for it there will be a pleasure. Thanks for the tip, I'm off to look. I'm sure I'll find plenty more of interest there.

Edited cuz I'm stoopid.

[ May 06, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Hmmm, I wanted the plain red field with white circle and swastika - the one bfamily33 has is the Reich War Flag. I am being picky!

I want one wrinkled up like Marco's recognition panels....hmm, maybe a colour wash of Marco's Sherman recognition panels, with a swastika drawn in....

Lots of other good stuff I'm finding at FH - I didn't realize the project had progressed so far. I like the early war German uniforms a lot.

Here is an idea for re-creating exact Axis recognition flags. Archer Dry Transfers has two Axis flags available- the national flag and the air recognition banner. Both are red with the swastika (in black on a white background).

You could purchase the dry transfers mount them on card or foil and weather/wrinkle them appropriately. Then, take a digital photo of the completed banner and the image can be applied to whatever vehicle you choose.

Check out your local hobby store for Archer Dry Transfers, there is also a link on the Missing Lynx website.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

How bout a nice inverted pink triangle for the back decks of your tanks?

Sounds good. Send me a digital pic of a pair of your panties and I can use it as a model.</font>

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

What about the GD truck you remade from Marco Bergman's 2 1/2 ton Michael Dorosh? Isn't there a way to wrinkle up the flag you used on the hood?

The flag was pretty crappy - but I did manage to red up (how's that for a verb) marco's recognition flags from the Stuart mod, add a swastika, and went with that...not perfect but it will do for now. I rarely go close in anyway, preferring the catbird seat.

That was my first thought, Bruno, to tell the truth, but when I brought up the bmp...I realized it wasn't what I wanted. The truck flag is flat and secured to the hood, I wanted one just tossed up onto the engine deck.