Axis Flak Trucks are Broken, pt. 2

Seriously, they do not seem to be functioning correctly.

After several battles where I've had an SPW 251/21 never engage aircraft, I set up a test to check out this one vehicle's AA capability, but in the process the old doubts about the other Flak trucks surfaced again:

I took the standard 800 by 800 flat map, put some 10m high mounds in the middle, and stuck 1 ea. SPW 251/21, Sd Kfz 6/2, 7/1, 7/2, 10/4, and a Wirbelwind (all Veteran crews) on top of them --- then chose 10 Sov aircraft.

The Wirbelwind reacted as expected: Targeted AC as soon as spotted (about 1600+ meters), and kept firing until AC was shot down, or left the map --- so we can leave this one out of the discussion.

The Sd Kfz's on the other hand, would spot and fire just like the Wirbelwind. Until, that is, the AC started it's firing run (actually dives in on the target and starts shooting --- usually between 900 - 700m), and then all of them stopped firing! This was repeated over and over, and occurred every time: Target, shoot for a few seconds, AC starts strafing run, flak trucks stop shooting.

And the SPW 251/21? Never fired a shot. Ever. This halftrack is listed as an anti-aircraft vehicle, yet it doesn't seem to be programmed as one.

I tried this with FOW settings of Extreme, Full, Partial, and None --- vehicle behavior was the same no matter what the settings, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. There's no terrain or cover blocking LOS, so that's not it either.

Anybody else having problems?

Originally posted by Andreas:

Isn't that identical to the range bug on the M17 that is being fixed? Maybe I just need a coffee to understand it better...

Don't think so --- but then, I never had problems with the M17's shooting things down. The range thing (400m max) only seemed to be a problem with ground targets --- M17's still shoot at AC, they just don't have a target line for some odd reason (maybe because vehicle MG's are treated as secondary weapons?)

As for the SPW 251/21, it's max range of 1000m is adequate (tho prolly a bit short) for engaging AC. It just refuses to do so.

And the flak trucks issue is something all together odd: They break off firing when the targeted AC begins it's strafing run.

See, not that hard to understand, and I haven't touched any caffeine in minutes...

Von Lucke, I have a SPW 251/21 with an aircraft kill in an op Im playing at the moment. Charles is away as the moment so I cant ask him directly about it, but I suggest you check it out again after you get the next patch.

Dan

[ October 20, 2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Von Licke, I have a SPW 251/21 with an aircraft kill in an op Im playing at the moment. Charles is away as the moment so I cant ask him directly about it, but I suggest you check it out again after you get the next patch.

Dan

Is this game you played after the patch?