AI fixated on German HMG

I had a Sherman 105, regular crew, unbuttoned, OK moral, on a hilltop looking down on small village with SS inf. I targetted a squad in a light building and my 105 fired one round, then retargetted a German HMG unit. This went on for 8-9 turns. Sometimes not taking a single shot at the target I gave it, but immediately switching to the HMG. But the HMG had one remaining soldier, was immoble in open ground, and had not shot at anyone for the past two turns. And never returned fire for the rest of the game.

By the way, after firing all but three remaining HE rounds at the HMG, he never became a casuallty. He finally surrendered.

I think that infantry squads are pretty far down the priority list, so the behavior you experienced isn't all that surprising.

Also I have found that tanks (or guns in general) tend to stick to area target orders longer than they keep single targets under fire, so targeting a house with a squad in it may give getter results than targeting the squad itself.

Dschugaschwili

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

I think that infantry squads are pretty far down the priority list, so the behavior you experienced isn't all that surprising.

Also I have found that tanks (or guns in general) tend to stick to area target orders longer than they keep single targets under fire, so targeting a house with a squad in it may give getter results than targeting the squad itself.

Dschugaschwili

I would like to point out that you could area fire at the infantry target instead of directly targeting the squad. The blast effects can still be deadly. Or you could reposition your Sherman 105 to a spot that obscures the sight to the HMG.

I've had the same problem, I had to move my afv completely out of sight of the very well positioned vickers so he would'nt waste all his HE firing at a darn mg when I had more important targets.

I also used ambush just to get him to stop firing.

-marc