Foxhole spotting...

Here is the text from a conversation in the forum, my question involved foxhole spotting. Should they have the same abilities as troops and guns to dissapear and reappear?

04:49 PM yunfat: does any notice that in CMBB you can see foxholes even when you cant see the units in them, am I alone in thinking this is a bug, a big one

04:49 PM yunfat: ?

04:50 PM Rune: but i can do one better

04:50 PM Jarmo_abse: no no no no

04:50 PM Rune slaps Jarmo with the GI COmbat demo

04:50 PM Jarmo_abse: shhheeettt

04:50 PM Jarmo_abse: ah, didnt see it

04:50 PM yunfat: all i seem to do on attacks is target foxholes, even when it shows there are no troops in them I know they are there

04:50 PM Jarmo_abse: was going to download it today

04:51 PM Rune: ask wacky

04:51 PM Jarmo_abse: but then downloaded the need for speed demo instead

04:51 PM Rune: yunfat not necessarily true

04:51 PM Rune: i can set premade foxholes

04:51 PM Jarmo_abse: it sucked

04:51 PM Jarmo_abse: I often place fallback foxholes forward

04:52 PM Rune: as do i

04:52 PM Jarmo_abse: just to play mind games

04:52 PM yunfat: Rune, all I am saying is, the foxhole remains visible even when the troops in the foxhole are not

04:52 PM Rune: give that to matt

04:52 PM yunfat: maybe its a mac thing

04:52 PM Jarmo_abse: it's not so strange

04:52 PM Rune: but so you know, they dont necessarily have troops in them

04:53 PM Jarmo_abse: when you dig a foxhole, you usually have a big pile of dirt around it

04:53 PM yunfat: Rune, yes they do, i know from the AAR that they were there, and that I eliminated them

04:53 PM Jarmo_abse: easily spottable

04:54 PM yunfat: i think its a bug, how can you see a foxhole. which appears empty, but you cannot see the gun in the foxhole?

04:54 PM Jarmo_abse: gun is one thing, ok

04:54 PM yunfat: yet in the AAR the gun is clearly there

04:54 PM Jarmo_abse: but infantry can stay down invisible

04:55 PM yunfat: jarmo, well, they arent invisible to my area fire, because when I see a foxhole all i have to do is target it and the troops in it almost always die

04:56 PM Jarmo_abse: yeah, I dont see that as wrong, as long as you're shooting HE

04:57 PM yunfat: so you think its cool to see a foxhole, yet not be able to see a full squad in the foxhole, thats absurd

04:57 PM Jarmo_abse: I'd suggest posting on the BFC forum, rather than reporting it as bug

04:57 PM Jarmo_abse: yeah, that's about it

04:58 PM Rune: Jarmo has military experience with the tings

04:58 PM Rune: things

04:58 PM Jarmo_abse: if someone digs a hole in the ground it's easily visible

04:58 PM yunfat: jarmo, for example, a gun fire at one of my tanks, I cant see the gun, but I can see the foxhole, and I know the gun is in the foxhole, thats absurd

04:59 PM yunfat: i agree that maybe troops can be hidden

04:59 PM Jarmo_abse: but if you're in the hole, below ground level, you cant be seen

04:59 PM Jarmo_abse: I agree gun should be seen if the hole is seen

05:00 PM yunfat: jarmo, by your reasoning you should see a foxhole before you see enemy troops then, but this isnt the case, the foxhole only becomes visible after the troops in it have revealed themselves

05:01 PM yunfat: so, when the troops in the foxhole dissapear, I still know they are in there

05:01 PM yunfat: and i can blow them to shreds

05:01 PM Jarmo_abse: I think I've seen foxholes before the troops in them

05:02 PM yunfat: well, the troops who built those foxholes arent competent then

05:02 PM Jarmo_abse: but yes, if they go down, they can be "unseen"

05:02 PM Jarmo_abse: yeah, I think it's a "hasty foxhole", not hidden too well

05:02 PM Jarmo_abse: or hidden at all

05:03 PM yunfat: jarmo, but in CM there is only one type of foxhole

05:03 PM yunfat: in CMBB its the hasty "Im over here" kind

05:03 PM Jarmo_abse: I'd like there be more, but right.

05:03 PM Jarmo_abse: but it's not like it's visible a mile away

05:04 PM Jarmo_abse: except after it's first seen

05:04 PM yunfat: once troops reveal themselves, they are dead, at least in CMBB, i just tagret the are around the foxhole and everyone seems to die

05:05 PM Jarmo_abse: if you have that much a superior firepower, then I guess so

05:06 PM yunfat: if my tanks are in the area, i just area fire behind foxhole and everyone dies

05:06 PM yunfat: no way to escape

05:06 PM Jarmo_abse: tanks are nice that way smile.gif

05:06 PM yunfat: guns and troops disapear, but where they are hiding doesnt,

05:07 PM yunfat: i just think thats weird

05:07 PM Jarmo_abse: escaping is difficult in BB

05:07 PM Rune: no it isn't

05:07 PM Jarmo_abse: I suppose it could go down to "last location marker"

05:07 PM Rune: just have to use support fire to escape

05:07 PM Rune: leaps and bounds

05:07 PM Rune: have a nice scenario that will teach that

05:07 PM Rune: smile.gif

05:08 PM Jarmo_abse: any suggestions perhaps? tongue.gif

05:09 PM yunfat: jarmo, yeah, make foxholes as hard to spot as the troops in them, and give them the ability to dissapear once the troops in them stop giving up their location, either by muzzleflash or sound

05:09 PM Jarmo_abse: the troops would still leave a location marker..

05:10 PM yunfat: yes, but many times those location markers are innacurate, which I like

05:10 PM Rune: but once a foxhole was spotted, why would it disappear

05:10 PM Rune: the infantry i can understand, they hide

05:10 PM Rune: just asking

05:11 PM yunfat: Rune, because when a foxhole opens up on you, odds are you arent looking straight at it, or you would be dead

05:11 PM yunfat: the troops that do spot it die

05:11 PM Rune: but once spotted, why would you forget where it was?

05:11 PM yunfat: because the troops that spotted it are now eliminated

05:11 PM Rune: and if they dont die?

05:12 PM Rune: all or nothing, remember

05:12 PM Jarmo_abse: relative spotting = engine rewrite

05:12 PM Rune: not relative spotting yet

05:12 PM Rune: exactly

05:12 PM yunfat: then they are so paniced, they cannot give an accurate location

05:12 PM Jarmo_abse: fat minds think alike

05:13 PM Rune: yunfat, even in the most stressed situation, you dont forget something that could kill you

05:13 PM Rune: that is from experience

05:13 PM yunfat: im saying that many pillboxes in WW2, and many foxholes, you wouldnt even notice if you walked right over them

05:14 PM yunfat: this of course is the exception

05:14 PM *** Mambo_Up_For_a_Game_CMBO has signed off IRC (Connection reset by peer)

05:15 PM yunfat: Rune, even if you did know the location, you wouldnt stick your neck out to point it out to someone else if half your platoon was just eliminated, you would tell someone when you found cover, "its over there somewhere"

05:15 PM yunfat: and "I'm not going back"

05:15 PM Rune: no, as a platoon/squad leader, i say "at this section of the map are dug in units"

05:15 PM Rune: or

05:16 PM Rune: 50 meters to the left of those trees are foxholes

05:16 PM Rune: you do not need to stick your head out to do it

05:16 PM Rune: remember a fixhole is not one foxhole, rather a series of them

05:17 PM yunfat: rune, yes, but wouldnt that mean a generic marker, and not a fixed location?

05:17 PM Rune: or even a foxhole

05:17 PM yunfat: rune, as in when troops dissapear, even when they stay in the same location

05:17 PM Rune: depends on the situation and terrin, you can be rather exact

05:17 PM Rune: or not, depending on the circumstances

05:18 PM yunfat: rune, well, every foxhole i have spotted has stayed fixed, and i dont think that realistic, but opinions are like assholes i guess

05:19 PM Rune: i see your point, but for each one, there would be a time you COULD see the foxhole

05:19 PM *** Guest25398 (java@=DQw66848.upc-d.chello.nl) has joined #Lobby

05:19 PM *** Guest25398 is now known as Screeny

05:19 PM Rune: and until they have randomness included, it could not be done

05:19 PM yunfat: i think that troops in certain foxholes can eliminate or rout the troops that spot them, and then they "lose" the location, thats what i would like

05:19 PM Rune: for example, the t34s armour changed from factory to factory

05:20 PM Rune: but what is a certain foxhole

05:20 PM Rune: see the can of worms?

05:20 PM *** Guest36631 (java@=lr00_465_271_954.eugn.uswest.net) has joined #Lobby

05:20 PM Rune: t34s, talked long and hard with charles about a log log feature that would vary the amount of armour from tank to tank

05:20 PM Rune: but that then means each units has to have a history

05:20 PM Rune: lots of coding

05:21 PM Rune: same thing here

05:21 PM Jarmo_abse: ding

05:21 PM *** Jarmo_absentminded has left #Lobby

05:21 PM yunfat: rune, well, when you see muzzleflash coming from a foxhole, or a gun, then the foxhole can be fixed, but lets say you just have a recon team out and they get eliminated, all of them, how do they communicate the postion of that foxhole, they dont

05:21 PM Rune: but in the engine they do

05:22 PM Rune: cannot be changed until the rewrite

05:22 PM Rune: think of it as a toggle

05:22 PM Rune: either spotted or not

05:22 PM yunfat: rune, im not saying its wrong, im saying that i think its wrong, you guys know more about real war than I do

05:22 PM Rune: remember, you are talking fortifications, and not units

05:22 PM Rune: no, i agree with you in certain circumstances

05:23 PM Rune: but unfortunately, hard to code those in

05:23 PM *** Stix (stix243@211.26.74.gg090=) has joined #Lobby

05:23 PM Rune: heya stix

05:24 PM tlkiileric: night all

05:24 PM *** tlkiilerich has signed off IRC (QUIT: User exited)

05:24 PM Rune: i am hoping for stuff like what you suggest in the rewrite

05:24 PM GravesRegi: just took out a KV with a hungarian hand grenade

05:24 PM yunfat: see, in woods the troops in the foxholes just dsappear, but i know where they are because of the foxhole, either the troops dont build well hidden foxholes, or the foxhole should be hidden to the same degree as the troops in them

05:25 PM Rune: Graves, sure it was a grenade?

05:25 PM yunfat: thats all i am saying

05:26 PM Rune: like i said, in certain circumstances i agree, but not all cases

05:26 PM Rune: and can't code randomness like that now

05:26 PM yunfat: rune, also, how does a gun dissapear, and the foxhole doesnt?

05:27 PM *** Guest97033 (java@=LQfjox-umx781-239.genuity.com) has joined #Lobby

05:27 PM Rune: that you have a point

05:27 PM Rune: i agree with, liek i said, send that to matt

Not sure what the problem is here. I can easily imagine spotting piled-up dirt or other tell-tales of earthworks and excavations, before you see the troops in them. Or the other way around, seeing gun flashes and smoke signatures, then the gun, then the earthworks. Troops reappearing and disappearing in earthworks, then losing sight of the earthworks, then gaining sight of the troops and earthworks again, also makes sense to me.

Sounds like a good way to spoof a enemy who likes to use 'recon by fire' on foxholes. Place a lot of dummy foxholes and trenches so they will waste ammo.

Ren

That would be a good tactics - making dummy foxholes & trenches smile.gif

Like in Winter War, Finns slowed down the Russian advance by digging holes in the road and then putting the sand back to those holes.

It looked like the road was hastly mined and the Russians had to check every hole while the tanks were waiting smile.gif

Improvising is important!

The way I see it, seeing foxholes (units or no units) is entirely realistic. And units hiding is also realistic (ok, maybe guns are an exception here).

What is unrealistic is being able to see things that some unit does not see. Until we get that (relative spotting), it would be, IMHO, out of place for a permanent, non-moving object to appear and disappear off the map.

In other words, why should foxholes disappear "randomly" when other non-moving objects do not? Yes, it is perhaps more tactically significant than other things (like knocked out vehicles). However, I think it would be mismatched without relative spotting.

Hope that was clear and made sense, even if it isn't agreed with ;)