Tankbush

I am trying out a strategy where I hide large-gunned, thinly armored TDs like Nashorns in scattered trees with selcted and limited LOS. I then give it a Hide and cover vehicle command. It is quite effective at medium/long range against virtually anything. Has anyone else been using anything similar?

Tigrii,

Sounds like a quite good use and placement of Nashorns, Marders, and other eggshells with hammers. Probably, similar placement might be useful for regular tanks & TDs. smile.gif

However, one must be careful of all vehicles' substantially increased chances of immobilization in scattered woods. redface.gif

I'll probably try to use such placement in the future.

Cheers, Richard :D

You should inspect the hit probablities in the LOS tool in the editor.

Shooting through woods lowers it substancially. On the other hand, standing defending vehicles have a boresighting bonus (in CMBB) as long as they never moved. So you need to have a look to see that you get satisfying probablities out of what you do.

Overall, when placing Nashorns and Marders I prefer to limit LOS by keyholing them, limiting them to narrow fire lanes. If nobody moves up this lane I can relocate them (losing the boresighting, but still beats a Pak40).

I prefer that over hiding them in more open regions because it will keep return fire low after they get spotted. A Nashorn doesn't survive long in LOS of multiple units. The keyholing will allow me to pick one enemy AFV and have no more (or at least not much more) than this one AFV in LOS.

Obviously that limits the usefulness considerably. You should generally seek to have the enemy get as many units into a firesack as possible to eliminate them all. This doesn't really work with these thin TDs. Nashorn and Marder are more made for fire once and relocate. However, in CMBB they lose the boresighting by doing so and moving them may be difficult on many of the smaller CM maps.