Control Freak

How are zones of control figured after a battle in a scenario campaign? I ask because I've been both the beneficiary and victim of lines being radically re-set after a battle.

I'm playing a Monte Cassino scenario at the moment. After a last turn rush, I got only a couple of squads across the river and into town. I was dreading the next battle, where I would have had to make my way up the hill through all the fixed fortifications to the monastery.

Yet when it came time to set up for round 2, my territory lines extended all the way up the hill and into the monastery itself, where I was able to position units behind the dreaded AT bunkers. Not only that, but there were no Axis troops at all on the monsatery hill except for the two bunkers. On a nearby, higher hill, I had surrounded a sizeable German force on top, but had not fully "conquered" the crest. But on the 2nd round I was gifted the entire hill.

On the flip side, in playing the Carentan scenario as the Germans, I was continually pushed back at the beginning of each round, depite having untis at the far edge of the map each time. The set-up line was always a straight east-west (or something) line running right across the map.

So how are these things calculated?

Every Op has a 'no man's land' setting, which determines the distance the two sides are seperated at the beginning of each battle. This almost always in favors the attacker, so no matter how badly you crushed the amis in 'Carentan' you will still be pushed back.