Minimum System Requirements -!! LOOK HERE!!

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I'm not sure if downsampling involves excessive texture compression ... to reduce the resolution (sampling) of the textures so that they occupy (and require) less video memory.

The end result are textures that look a bit less detailed and 'blurry' compared to the non-downsampled/compressed textures.

I guess there will be no visual difference most of the time.

- With a low end card you'll run at low screen resolution anyway.

- Even with a high end card and high screen resolution most textures are normally shown with much fewer pixels than they originally have. (For example, a typical Hi-res tank in CMBO have a side hull texture 512 pixels wide. At 1024x768 pixels screen setting this tank will have to fill half the screen (or more) in a side shot to display all details.)

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

So if an 8Mb video card works with CMBB, the textures will be of noticeablely lesser quality. However CMBB will still look fairly good, just not as sharp as a video card with 32 or 64Mb+ of VRAM.

It runs fine in 8Mb (on a Mac... not sure I'd try that on a PC). I do not notice that big a difference between the 8Mb on my Powerbook, or the 32Mb on my iMac. The iMac is faster, but I don't know how much of that is VRAM and how much is the difference between a G4 and a G3