WWI Scenario??

Guest Germanboy

Very simple:

German: 20 HMG teams, 10 LMG teams, 20 MG bunkers, 5 crack 105mm FOOs with TRPs, lots of barbed wire.

UK: 1 BN of green infantry with next to no ammo (to simulate the lower rate of fire of rifles), lots of FOOs with various calibres

Map: small, deep mud, defenders dug in.

Attack with UK, walk slowly towards the German MRL.

Enjoy (or not).

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>UK: 1 BN of green infantry with next to no ammo (to simulate the lower rate of fire of rifles)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This part is not necessary... given that the British are still using the same basic weapons as they did in 1917-18. The rest of Germanboy's recomendations seem spot on smile.gif

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

This part is not necessary... given that the British are still using the same basic weapons as they did in 1917-18. The rest of Germanboy's recomendations seem spot on smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey - do you want to have another rematch? You get to attack me in the scenario outlined above. After all, I always lose my defensive games biggrin.gif !

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hey - do you want to have another rematch? You get to attack me in the scenario outlined above. After all, I always lose my defensive games<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if I get to use unhistorical tactics... like using cover... advancing at a pace exceeding a walk.

Come to think of it, even then, it would still suck

I don't think that trenches are possible in the game. I also don't totally agree with the walk in a straight line. I have a book at home written by Rommmel about his experiences on the Russian front in WWI. From what I remember there was a great deal of non-trench warfare going there. It might yield some interesting battles.

I had wondered if the game could be used to simulate maybe US Civil War or even Napolenic battles. Of course horses are not possible and no vehicles would be allowed. But having a line of small caliber ATGs to simulate the type of cannons they used, ignoring any special weapons such as HMGs and flamethrowers, and you MIGHT get by with simulating such a battle.

MikeT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I also don't totally agree with the walk in a straight line. I have a book at home written by Rommmel about his experiences on the Russian front in WWI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, that has nothing to do with the British... which was the point Germanboy was making. The British officers of WW1 were criminally stupid

I was not and will not try to defend the general staff of the British army, nor the French, nor the German, nor the Russian in WWI.

However my post was that a WWI battle does not necessarily HAVE to be a MG fest. There are battles the did involve strategy and tactics, and not just slaughter.

Now the book I referred to was ATTACKS by Rommel. If memory serves this is the won that Patton was seen praising in the movie "PATTON". The ISBN is 0-9602736-0-3 I bought it in 1979 and it has been a while since I read it....maybe it might yield some scenario ideas.

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

The Italian Front might be interesting. Russian Front would be boring... high quality Germans butchering poor quality and poorly led Russians. German attacks on the Western Front in 1917 might be interesting as they had changed tactics to break the trench stalemate. playing the British or the French on the attack would be intensely boring... if played using their tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonora:

Has anyone thought about a WWI Scenario?? or is it even possible?? (with all the trenches and such)Thoughts ????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made one a while back, i could post it up somewhere if you really want it. Lot's of machine guns, barbed wire, pits & mud in no mans land. works quite well. I'm working on a Vimy Ridge Operation right now. cool.gif

Guest Germanboy

Well Berli whipped up a scenario along my recommendation, and it works quite well. He uses Daimlers and Humbers for rmour. 'Works quite well' meaning that the AI attacking lost about 50% of the infantry (plus another third broken or routed) without making a breakthrough at any point of the line. Not very interesting though, unless you are also into watching paint dry.

I agree that some situations in the early or late war (post 03/18) could be interesting, but other than that...

------------------

Andreas

Germans - they come here, they shag our anteaters. (Angus Deaton)

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-20-2000).]