Elsdorf concern...hey Wild Bill! (SPOILER)

Hope Wild Bill reads this, because I'd like his comments.

I'm playing Elsdorf in a PBEM as the Axis. My reinforcements arrived on two consecutive turns, which is fine. The problem is that the second group (all Tigers) arrived on the right side of the map, forward of the town and actually slightly behind the Amis line. As a result, I was a sitting duck, and lost any chance of bringing those forces into play. They were destroyed in less than 10 seconds, by largely unseen forces...I assume Pershings that my opponent had waiting to bring forward.

So, I wonder if the entry point of the reinforcements needs to be revised? Or was I just unlucky? Can the entry point vary from one playing to another? I seem to recall it can't, at least not by much.

I really like this scenario. It's a challenge to defend as the Axis against such a large force. I was doing okay, but now I feel like I lost one of my main chances at winning because this happened. It doesn't seem realistic to me, and also isn't fair in the context of the game. Although forces arriving as reinforcements might walk into an ambush, I would never have sent all those Tigers forward at once...without overwatch they would be too vulnerable. frown.gif

Am I just being whiny? Wild Bill? Anyone else??

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Not at all, Buckeye! You may have a point. This did not happen to me when I played it. I was fortunate and able to move out in force.

I did come under attack shortly after moving. One alternative might be to set up even another reinforcement hex and split those forces.

Initially I had them all come in at once but that did not work well at all, which is why I changed it into two reinforcing groups.

Tell you what, let me play it a little more today and see how it goes. If I see that it does need to be changed, I will change it and post the modification on Madmatt's CMHQ scenario list (if he will let me...you know how he is wink.gif )

If that is the case, I'll post a note here for you all. Fair enough?

Thanks for letting me know this.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Bill-

The same exact thing just happened to me(playing as the Germans).Five Tigers were wiped out in 15 seconds,just because they appeared in the midst of Allied heavies.I think all the reinforcements should enter behind the town,or perhaps even further back,maybe along the wood through the woods that exits off the map corner.

That side entrance is going to be in the thick of U.S. units more often than not,IMO.

Mike

Hi Bill. I appreciate your response. I've really liked the scenarios of yours that I've played thus far, as well as the one's you've recommended. I just think it makes more sense to bring the reinforcements in further back. I don't mind coming under attack soon afterwards, but it'd be nice to have at least one move to play with... wink.gif

------------------

I've just replayed as the Germans, Buckeye and I think you have a valid point. I was able to salvage two of the four, but it does not make sense to reinforce into an ambush.

We'll fix it up and I'll post it somewhere. I'll let you know.

Good job guys. Thanks for catching this.

WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

Now that's what I call service with a smile! biggrin.gif

Thanks Bill. Too bad I (and Mike too) had to find out in a PBEM! wink.gif

Well, others will thank us...

------------------

Its coming to you and Mike directly now via E-Mail. This should work much better. As soon as I can find a home for it, I'll post a note here.

Thanks for helping with a little "testing."

Sorry the lesson was so bitter frown.gif

I think I got your E-Mail address correct for both of you. Let me know if you receive it.

Hey, no shame. If we have patches for the game, why not for scenarios. Who says they can't be made better wink.gif

WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 07-02-2000).]

Bill-

I appreciate your updating this one,and appreciate trying to send it-I just noticed I need to update my email addy.If you want to try to send it again,I'm at

kitch@columbus.rr.com

If it's a hassle,don't worry about it-I have no problem d/l'ing your new version somewhere.I really like the scenario,I'm sure your change will handle the one gripe I have with it.

Mike

A big BZ for Wild Bill and Elsdorf. I had the opportunity to play it last night vs. an Axis AI and the scenario was a nail-biting experience. Lucky for me to keep reserves, otherwise it would have been gruesome. I still lost about 40% of my armor assets.

My fondest experience happened when I squared off versus the king tiger. Now, that was excitement!