Gamey Units

My bud challenged me to a 3000 point, random weather, unlimited unit choice, gamey reverse meeting battle.

I'm afraid I wasn't too up on gamey units but they're both turning out to be pretty cool fights. Lotsa arty (and rockets), he's got lots of TD's for his side on the allied. I went for a british/french mix on my allied side, churchills, lots of wasps, and achilles and ajax, with brit paratroopers, fair amount of heavy guns hindered by it turning out to be thick fog. Smattering of a lot of german stuff, geibsjurgers (sp?), smg squads, and jagdpanthers.

So want would people consider are the most gamey units in the game?

The only units that are basically outlawed are the self propelled flak guns- the sdkfz 7/2 and 7/3 quad 20mm and 37mm guns on halftracks. Because the tacAI considers them to be soft targets, tanks will shoot HE at the ground under them, making them much harder to kill.

Units that are considered gamey if you buy more than one per battle are Allied 40mm AA, Axis 37mm AA, puppchens, wasp flame carriers, and M8 HMCs. These were either historically rare, overmodeled in CM, or too cheap for their value in the game.

Units that you really shouldn't build an entire army out of are SMG squads and maybe 14 inch naval arty.

Jeep MGs used to be considered to be gamey, but in the newest versions, they were slowed down can no longer carry troops. They are no longer gamey, so go ahead and use them for scouting if you want.

Mixing units of different nationalities, eg brit paras supported by french armor, having units from 3 or more types, or mixing units that would have always been seperated, such as a combined gerbigsjaeger/fallschirmjaeger/volksstrum force is gamey.

Limited mixing of units, such as american airborne with american army support, or volksstrum with heer guns and tanks, is ok.

The most important rule is to talk with your opponent before the game. If he says a force made up of SMG squads with SS armor, Heer 37mm AA, and fallschirmjaeger scouts is ok, then by all means use them. Just watch out for his M8 HMCs and wasp flametracks.

[ April 16, 2002, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

I'm playing a 3000 pt. QB against the AI and have so far destroyed 6 SPW 251/9 half-tracks. There seem to be at least two or three more. No tanks above a couple of MkIVs so far, just the SP howitzers.

This seems a little gamey to me, but I probably shouldn't complain. Most of the hits are being scored by my pair of Super Pershings at ranges of around 1000 meters. . .

Originally posted by JTM:

I'm playing a 3000 pt. QB against the AI and have so far destroyed 6 SPW 251/9 half-tracks. There seem to be at least two or three more. No tanks above a couple of MkIVs so far, just the SP howitzers.

This seems a little gamey to me, but I probably shouldn't complain. Most of the hits are being scored by my pair of Super Pershings at ranges of around 1000 meters. . .

Good point. Buying more than about four of the same tanks or halftracks per game, unless its something common like sherms, pz IVs, or spw 251/1s or if the game is bigger than around 2000 points, is generally considered to be gamey.